Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm brand new to Beagle World and am so glad to have found a place to ask questions and find answers. Jack is my first beagle, 5 months old and just precious. He's so different in personality from my past dogs; doesn't like to cuddle, doesn't really want to be on my lap. But I know he likes having me around because we play outdoors together and he loves it. I'm just adjusting to having a dog that isn't all that interested in me. Now that I understand that's just how a beagle is, I feel so much better. I thought maybe he thought I was the bad guy and he didn't like me because I correct him, train him and crate him at bedtime. Potty training was a breeze but the chewing is a challenge. He has lots and lots of toys for chewing but always prefers what he's not supposed to have. How do they know that? He knows "sit" and "down" and we're about to start working on "drop it". Any suggestions on additional training?

Also, I'm in the Midwest so we have definite season changes. How do beagles feel about cold, rain and snow?

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
Welcome..hope you post a picture soon of that chewer...lol. beagles are somewhat independent especially when young. My dog will sit with me but not necessarily "cuddle".. dont think its you..its just their personality but they do love you. If you can get into a good obedience class i highly recommend it. My dog went to a sheriff k9 obedience class. Get a Clicker at the petstore...its a great cheap training tool.. watch YouTube videos on how to use one for training. Im a big believer. Youre just going to have to chew-proof your place and watch the mischief...lol
Ive had my dog from 8 weeks and shes now 8.9 years.
Cassie says Hi

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha, oh ya. But he's really a good boy. He just has a lot of energy and his nose leads him at all times. I am curious about how your dog does in the colder/wetter weather.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Xerxes has very low body fat (so atypical for a beagle) and he gets cold super easily. We have down jackets for him, and a snowsuit. That helps a lot (though he hates the snowsuit).

We're in Toronto, so likely further south than you, but we go north every winter, and I can snowshoe run with him in sub-zero temperatures (celsius) with a light fleece jacket and he's fine while we move.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
Im in California so my dog is used to warm sunny weather for a good part of the year... cassie doesnt like cloudy weather and will hunker down in her crate. When it rains its a challenge getting her out to pee/poop.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's been cold and rainy here all week until yesterday - it was 84 degrees and sunny. Today it's 43 degrees and we're supposed to have some light snow on Sunday. Jack is not happy with cold and wet.

·
Registered
Libby the Beagle 4 years old
4 Posts
Libby is a tiny girl. 18 pounds. Down to 32 she is good for 30 minutes if we are moving. I have a light swearshirt for her when its just cold under 30. A jacket for 10 or lower or windy. Never longer than 30-45 minutes if under 30 degrees.

·
Super Moderator
5,140 Posts
Molly is tiny and old so I have jackets for her for really cold weather and especially cold wind. Oliver is huge and he doesn't get cold easily, he likes to be outside. They both hate the rain, Molly especially. If she hasn't been out in hours, I carry her out and stand over her to block the rain.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OMG, they are both so darling. There's just something special about a beagle! I bought a little sweater for Jack and he went ballistic! I don't think he'll be wearing it, but that's okay. When it's cold or rainy, he can just stay inside for the day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts