Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a fake tree for Christmas..figured why tempt fate with a dogs and tree.

But now we have a problem. Casie is really part cat, and loves to climb...he is very good at balancing on the back of furniture, on the tops of things...it's very scary to me at times.

So where do we put the tree? Cobi knows to stay away. A gate is not going to stop either one, as they will think that it's a beagle challenge. Last year we put a tote on top of the desk and the tree on top of that, so that by the time we got done, a 4 ft tree stood about four more ft above the ground. That was fine...but the part cat I am afraid will still be able to reach things on the tree. We've thought of the piano, but I don't think the base of the tree will fit on the top...without tipping over. And if necessary we could hang it from a light hook that was left by previous owners. OR we could drop the whole tree thing and opt for lights around the house.

What do you do, and how do you keep the little howlers from getting at your tree?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Fortunately we haven't had too much trouble with the tree. We get a real tree and our biggest problem was keeping them from drinking the water!!! We were constantly refilling.

The beags are never left alone in the room with the tree, if they get too close to the tree, we give a firm No and distract them with something else to do.

Since we just got Gino (6 year old bagel) in March, we are curious to see what he does, but he generally does not get into trouble like the other two mischief makers

Good luck!

·
Registered
269 Posts
We won't get a tree this year, since Molly is eating our 2 plants we don't trust her around a tree with needles. She can instead eat the fake tree my in-laws will have :p

·
Registered
890 Posts
We haven't put up our tree yet, but we are scared what Yuki and Niko will do to it. Yuki loves to chew and have already detroyed several things in the house. They also love to play and wrestle together and I am afraid they could knock the tree down.
Tucker get interested at first, but it only takes a couple no's and he won't bother it again. Just don't put any stuffed animals on the tree that he can reach.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I put my tree up last week and our 4 month old puppy is doing fine, he is never left alone but we just tell him to get back whenever he goes near it. He is fine...good luck!

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
We have a fake tree and honestly Molly didn't really bother it her first Xmas with us. I just made sure the delicate bulbs decorations were up higher. Maybe if you use a spritz bottle and if Casie goes close to the tree spritx water at him and say NO TREE.

·
Registered
326 Posts
We have a fake tree, and have to say I let them enjoy watching me put it together/up as the tree is being decorated they try to be snoopy I say NO, and they back off, I personally don't let them know it's a big deal and make a big stink about it, kinda like the more you say something the more they want too do it, so they watch mum put it up snoop for a sec to check it out, NO is said, they back off, watch and that's it.

Make no big stink about it used strickness and the tree should be fine anywhere, works for us, even the cat knows the rules, and we know how cats are lol

·
Registered
215 Posts
Oh yes the tree issue has been on my mind - not sure how my two angels will go - probably on top of the tree knowing them!

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Makes me think about years ago whgen I had a ferret and he got under the tree, splashed water on all the gifts and chewed the bows! I just gave the gifts as-is and explained that Gumby helped with the wrapping!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Last year, Peppers first Christmas here, I put up the tree and for about 2 weeks she never bothered it or even paid attention to it till it fell over no fault of hers. Once it fell over she wouldn't leave it alone. I was so afraid she would get a hook caught in her throat or chew on the light strands. Because no one was here all day the only thing I could do is get it out of her reach. Shortened the tree and put it on top of a 3 foot table. Curious how she'll react this year to it..

·
Registered
79 Posts
This is Starla's first Christmas so I was a little nervous about how she was going to react to the (fake)tree and other decorations. I put mine up Thanksgiving weekend, and she was curious, but never got in the way in the least. If anything she's a bit cautious about it. We did find out that she is drawn to the small sequin accents on the tree skirt, so we just ripped them off. Problem solved. Every now and then she will nose around the tree, but we just say no no and she goes off to do something else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts