Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I had a Bible Study from about 8 to 10. When I came home the living room was destroyed and my husband just looked harried. His frist words were, she missed you. Apparently Molly (who, by the way, saw me walk out the front door - and tried to come herself) didn't remember I had left and spent quite a bit of time whining at the bedroom door. When my husband showed her I wasn't in there, she whined at the bathroom door. She then proceeded to attempt to destroy everything her teeth could reach. When I did walk in the door coming home she did the whole whining with joy, wagging the tail, licking my face thing. It just warms the heart to know something out there really really likes you.

Then my husband mentioned that I forgot to feed her dinner. I replied, no I didn't, I fed her before I left. Molly figured out how to trick us out of two dinners - no doubt a lifetime habit.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Yes, it's wonderful to feel loved. Li'l Girl has never destroyed things while I was away, but Dusty tells me she's cried and whined a lot. I'm going away for a few days next week, but Dusty will be home. When I leave for any length of time, I try to get away without her seeing me, but that doesn't work. She seems to have a sixth sense about that.

·
Registered
959 Posts
OMG! Don't you love it! Cobi is the same way, he is so happy to see me come home...doesn't act that way with DH....I love it.
And yes, even at 7 we sometimes come home to things in various places we didn't leave them....but that was the same with the kids and a babysitter :eek:)

Cathy

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
This is a quote by Pam Brown on a beagle calendar that I keep on my bulletin board at work:

Quote:You come home. The dog throws itself at you. Where have you <span style="font-style: italic">been</span>? You've been gone <span style="font-style: italic">so</span> long. I missed you, missed you, missed you. I love you, love you, love you. What's in the bag? Something for me? Oh, let me lick your ear. Oh, let me chew your gloves. You're <span style="font-style: italic">home</span>!

·
Registered
242 Posts
OMG, I love it! It is soooo true but there are days I wished Jack loved me just the tiniest bit less. He has such separation anxiety I cannot even list the things he's destroyed in the two months I've had him. Mostly it's the kennel gate. There are two entrances, one is a regular gate and the other is a wooden door/gate. I've had someone out to repair it twice and now have to replace the whole thing.

But this is the big weekend for starting the de-separation training. I have to buy a lounge chair for the kennel and sit in it for a few hours each day, getting up from time to time and leaving, placing something with my scent on it on the chair and saying, quiet now or I'll be right back. Then I leave and close the gate and come back in 30 seconds praising him if he is quiet and leaving again, if he is not. This could go on for weeks and is only one part of the training! Yikes.

Does that sound like good advice to those of you who have had separation anxiety? I have to do the same thing at night. I can no longer let him sleep on the bed but have to crate him again at night. Hopefullly this will work over time and he won't be so lost when I leave.

I've had about 4 hours sleep over the last two nights!!!

But they're worth it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.