Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's nearly time for me to collect my new puppy!

On saturday I will be picking up my first Beagle and am soooo excited. :lol2: )

Will try and get some cute puppy pics online as soon as I can.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The only tip I can think of is if you plan on him sleeping in the crate at night...stick to it!! He might start howling and want to come out, but if you give in, he'll always do it!! I let alot slide when Monty was a puppy, and the result is a 1 year old puppy who hogs the bed and isn't quite potty trained yet. Still adorable though!! That and make sure if he wears a collar you take it off before putting him in the crate. Oh and if you put a blankie with your scent on it in his crate, he might find it more comforting, because it'll seem like you're there with him. I hear a warm water heating pad might work too, but i haven't tried it.

Good luck, and keep us posted! i love puppy stories /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hello and conratulations on your new puppy. I have a 3 month old puppy who loves her crate. She was introduced to the crate by her breeder and came to us by air in her crate. So she was already used to it. We stuck with it from day one with no problems. The first week I slept on the couch in our living room with her crate nearby so I can hear her signals to go out. She would wimper after a few hours of sleep if she needed to go and I would bring her right out. Once she was done I would put her back in the crate. If she wimpered at that time I would just lay on the couch and ignore her and she would quiet right down. After a week she was sleeping 5 - 6 hours without accidents.

It has been almost 4 weeks now and she sleeps 10 - 6 in the crate with no problems. We will not get in any habits of sleeping on our bed.

Good luck with your new pup!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I did much the same with Maggie. We put her in the crate at bedtime. If she cried,I put her on her leash took her out and then right back to bed. I kept the lights off in the house except for one low light in the hall. We didn't play or interact except for praise when she pottied. She was 8 weeks when we got her. After the first week we only had to get up occasionally at night so I guess we were lucky.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Congratulations!! You are not gonna know what hit you! I've had my baby boy for almost a week now and my world has been turned upside down. Wouldnt trade him for the world tho /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Aww. Puppies rock! Good Luck!! xx

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. It definately sounds like the crate is the going to prove very useful. Not sure whether to have my baby monitor in my daughter's bedroom or downstairs with the pup on a night!! :smack: Keep in touch guys.

MisterJim, I loved your puppy pics on the other posting! I hope my pup is just as adorable. I went to see her when she was just 2 weeks old but she is at the other side of the country so haven't seen her since. Did you struggle finding a beagle too? Apparently they are everywhere in America, but over here there isn't half as many. We found a breeder in Preston, Lancs (we are in Yorkshire), although did debate going to the Isle of Wight at one point, and she is still going to cost us a small fortune! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif I'm sure she'll be worth it though!

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Other BW members from "across the pond" have told us that too, that it's harder to find beagles there. That surprises me, because beagles began in the U.K., right? Anyway, congratulation on your new family member. Beagle puppies are the cutest in the world--looking forward to the pictures!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Welcome to BW and good luck with your new puppy. You are in for fun for a few days/weeks but stick to it. It was a good suggestion to sleep in the room with your pup at the start. If not a hot water bottle will make him feel less alone and a ticking clock /the oldfashioned wind up type) may also help.
Whereabout in Yorkshire are you? lovely area of the UK.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by chickeninabun:
Not sure whether to have my baby monitor in my daughter's bedroom or downstairs with the pup on a night!!
Why not put the crate in your room? Beagles hate to be alone.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
I personally do not like the idea of crating your dog in another room at night (but then my two sleep in my bed under my covers). Dogs are pack animals and if you isolate them in another room, it is like they are being left out of the pack and can get very upset about it. I am fine with crating, but I would at least put the crate in your bedroom with you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Aww thanks for the compliments! I've wanted a beagle on and off for around ten years but only started looking into getting one two years ago. I was on a "waiting list" for over a year

The lady I chose (around half an hour away from me - but I was incredibly lucky in that respect. If she hadn't been available then I would have had to travel over 300 miles)only breeds a litter when she wants a pup so like I said, it took me over a year! But yes, they are incredibly hard to find and incredibly expensive but, in my humble opinion worth every penny and every ounce of energy they take up. Beagles rock!

Dont forget your pictures!!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I'm thinking with the time difference it might almost be Saturday in the UK... I'm sure you are tingly with excitement by now. I know I can't wait to hear all about the new arrival and see lots of cute puppy pictures!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts