Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! It's been quite a while since we've had the time to post here, but we have a question we need some help with.

But first, an update! Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday are getting along like champs, and Doc will be a year old in a few weeks! We had some hesitation rescuing Doc (could we handle TWO beagles?), but he's been a blessing and we've never thought twice. Many of Wyatt's "issues" went away after having Doc around for a while, and now they look for each other when one isn't in the room /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Wyatt's epilepsy is well under control, and we've been seizure free for about 6 months :thumbup:

But here's our question. Our back fence is open to a walking path, and when the boys are outside and someone walks by (especially if they're on a bike or have a dog), they go nuts. Especially Doc. Wyatt's always been one to bay when someone walks by, and he'll usually run to the fence. But he'll stop as soon as they've gone by. It's the typically beagle saying "look who I found Mom and Dad!" That never really bothered us.

But Doc puts on his deepest bark and races up and down the fence howling and barking the entire time. And he won't stop until long after whoever it was is gone. He's not aggressive, just loud and there's no deterring him. I've gone out and tried to grab him and he'll run right through me, and if I do happen to grab him, he squirms so much that I'm afraid I'll hurt him. We've tried everything we can think of, but nothing has worked.

Now, let me say we aren't bothered by the barking. I mean, he's a beagle after all. What bothers us is that it doesn't stop and there's no deterring him. It's especially worrisome when the person on the other side of the fence is a kid walking their dog, who might get defensive/agressive.

Any ideas as to what else we can try? And the behavior is similar on walks, but not nearly as bad.

Thanks!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Hi, I don't remember you posting since I have been a member, but I can try and help...

Is there anything bothering him? Is he triggered by something in particular that you have noticed? I think that in any case, a dog trainer/behaviorist can have an idea...

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Glad to hear everyone is doing well /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sounds like normal dog stuff to me, sorry I can't help, just didn't want you to think no one was reading your post.

Abby does the same thing when she sees people walking down the street, we just tell her "quiet" and she stops...most of the time.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I don't use one, but I have friends who are beagle owners and they have had great success with "bark collars". I would need TOO many of them. My co-manager on our beagle group is a good trainer and works for a boarding kennel/groomer. She recommends the kind of collar that you control with a "remote" - not the ones that are set off by barking. A couple of other beagle owners I know use them, and say after a while you really don't have to use the collar - just "threaten" them with it. About the most I do is a squirt bottle - and some people have luck with a soda can filled with pennies that make a loud noise and gets their attention. What I find when my "pack" is in full bark mode is that it's just hard to get their attention - this morning was a good example. The cat next door was out and they were "on the hunt" (of course they are in a fenced yard but that darned cat was just out there). Our front porch has a wrought iron rail on it, so I just banged on it (with a metal bowl - which clanged) - that got their attention long enough for me to tell them to get their butts in the house and be quiet - which they did.
Good luck!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. Chloe's Mom, we haven't posted in a long time, but we do read often. I don't think there's anything else that triggers it, and we've considered contacting a behaviorist. Beaglesmom, we'd never use a bark collar. My wife finds them repulsive, and I just think there's better ways to train a dog. Wyatt and Doc have both been through obedience training, and do really well, though both are stubborn /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I've tried the can and the spray bottle. The spray bottle got Doc's attention, but it didn't stop him. I think my next step (once it warms up) is to spend an entire day with him and Wyatt outside on leashes with a pocketful of treats. I think making them stay/lay next to me and giving treats when they stay as someonwe walks by would at least stop the racing up and down the fence. We'll see, and I'll let you all know how it works.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
As I said, I don't use bark collars either - when my mom's mini schnauser was alive, she tried one - not the shock kind, but the one that emitted a noise - it didn't faze him at all. I don't like the idea of the shock collars - and have heard of dogs actually being electrocuted or badly burned by being left on the dog when it rained. I won't do that to my "kids". Usually if I can get their attention (not always easy to do when there are 10 beagles barking) - they will stop. The squirt bottle works okay in the house for "issues" - at least it gets their attention and doesn't hurt them, but it doesn't work OUTSIDE when they're at one end of the yard. Most of the time, I just say "where's my bad dog gun" and they stop whatever they're doing. :toofunny:

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Do you live in a house? If so the mment they bark call them in. If you call them when they are not barking, give them a treat if they come. Then, if they bark because of passers by and you call them, they might remember if they come they get a treat! Most dogs bark if people or/and animals go past, if they stop afterwards there is no real problem.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks A doghouse... we've tried that, and while Wyatt will come back (or at least stop and look and think about coming in), Doc is just incessant. He doesn't hear, see, or smell anything other than those folks on the other side of the fence. And Wyatt will stop as soon as the passers by have gone by. Doc on the other hand won't stop for a good ten minutes after they've gone by.

Again, it doesn't really bother us, I'm just worried that Doc might cause another dog to get agressive/defensive. We'll keep working on it, and I'm sure the boys won't mind a few treats along the way! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts