Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Spring has come, Boo is starting her itching and scratching again.....Last 2 summers she was on Prednizone so much and I'm afraid that is going to happen again.....Everytime she goes outside she starts itching....It is not fleas.....I was thinking that it might be contact dermatitice (spelling?) She has had her bianual bath with prescription shampoo, her Advantage, and I got a Topical spray (GentaVed) for her itching ,I give her Tavist (it only works for about 4 hrs.) I think it is grass and whenever it rains the standing water seems to drive her to a frenzy.....Am I missing anything?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Our ATB Beag Patches was this way. She was a great tracker, but she was so allergic to grasses that Ken stopped hunting her, she was miserable, dragging her belly along the floor to scratch that itch. She was also allergic to corn, so no foods that contained corn as one of the main ingredients helped some. The pred she was on made her pee like crazy, so that wasn't much of a solution.

It is possible to have her allergy tested and start allergy injection therapy if the tests warrant it.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Well, it sounds like you have done everything. Our Sadie has contact dermititis to grass. We use Tavist Allergy also. Our vet said she could take 2 tablets twice a day when very itchy. You can run that past your vet and see if ok though. Sadie weighs 38 pounds.

That Genta spray is good. We have used that too. Sadie hates anything sprayed on her though.

Good luck with it and keep us posted.

·
Registered
308 Posts
My Late Puppy Chihuahua was on benedryl in the summers due to allergies. Could you use this?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both Benydryl and Tavist only work about 4 hrs...but I have only given her 1 a day....Im going to take her to the vet tomorrow....It just breaks my heart to see her so miserable.....

·
Registered
308 Posts
Bless her heart! I hope you both get the relief you need!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Bless her heart! I hope you both get the relief you need!

·
Registered
439 Posts
lynne

please read my reply to the topic "maggie is eating". that product might help. my lab had the same issues. i washed him in selson blue, or T-tree shampoo. it helped him a great deal. plus you can use flax seed oil. a t spoon or 2 added to the food. you will notice a difference right away.this also can stem from the type of grass you have in your yard too. if im correct in my thinking, a good rain helps keep a allergy at bay for a bit. shouldnt cause a frenzy. there might be something there on that. her food might be a major cause too, as someone mentioned above (corn).

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, we went to the Vet today and Boo got a quadruple whammy....She got an antinflamitory shot, prednizone, antihistomine and antibiotic...So I think this will all make Boo feel better......I will let you know how everthing goes........

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
My goodness, that will do the trick!! Yup, we have been in that same boat. She must have had a skin infection along with all of that itching. Now she will get batter. Glad you took her in to see the vet.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well Boo seems to be feeling and doing better....Not seeing so much scratching today...She doesnt look so miserable....I was thinking about changing her food to Science Diet for sencitive skin but he said it is ok to keep her on her SD Lite.....So Far So Good

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I hope the shot and meds did the trick. Our Traveler gets itchy, and at this time of year, gets gunk in his eyes. The vet said it's fine to give him benadryl, so he gets it twice a day. So far this spring, his eyes haven't seemed to get as gunky as in past years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts