Our Beagle World Forums banner

Itchy Butt - Any Thoughts?

8K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Genie 
G
#1 ·
So it seems that almost every Spring and every Fall, our 5 year old Daphne acquires what my vet and I lovingly refer to as itchy butt. Bare in mind we have 4 distinct seasons here in Virginia.

It's not fleas. It's not mange. And it is not anxiety...Daph is the calmest dog ever.

We treat it with a 2 week decreasing dose of prednisone and presto - no probs until the next odd season.

The vet can't figure it out. Daph just seems to go after her hind-quarters at the beginnings of both of these seasons.

Anyone have any thoughts? Ever seen this before?

THANX! - jen, shawn, daph & lucy (who incidently is snoring on my lap right now!)

#2 ·
Well this mught seem a little too elementary to be the reason of the itchy butt, but Have you consider worms? Did your vet take a stool sample. both these seasons are known to foster worm infestation in dogs who likes to put their nose on the ground or on whatever they may sniff...

G
#3 ·
The first time (2 years ago) that we acquired "itchy butt" we definately considered worms and she tested negative on the stool test. Same with the second time...so our vet and I have decided that this is probably seasonal. It's an enigma

#4 ·
I have to say my first thought was that you had an itchy butt rather than your dog
don't ask me why, I just did.

I have no idea as to the reason for this at all, Rosa got an itchy butt once and this was an anal gland problem, which has been sorted, no more itchy butt. Other than that I don't know.

------------------
Jennifer, Lilly & Rosa

#6 ·
guupster, every summer (4 seasons in Conn. too, although this year with all the cool wet weather, spring and summer seem to be merging into one) our cat KC gets a swollen bottom lip. It usually lasts about a week, and appears 2 or 3 times a year. At first we thought, because he is an indoor/outdoor cat, he'd gotten stung by a bee. Then we thought he'd gotten the worst end of a catfight, although there were no marks on his face, and he's a lover not a fighter ('nother words, a chicken.) Finally we took him to the vet, after it came back the second summer. The vet decided that he must be getting into something he's allergic to, that only blooms or whatever in the summer. We've never given him anything since it doesn't seem to itch, and the swelling does go away. So maybe Daphne is allergic to something that only appears in the spring and fall--some sort of pollen maybe. Though why it would just affect her back end, I don't know, unless she's sitting in it!! Glad the prednisone helps, though.

#7 ·
To continue Genies theme, she could eat something that is only around at certain times which perhaps is ok until it has been digested but perhaps becomes more toxic on passing it when it has had time to ferment or whatever?

------------------
Owned by Gemini and Holly.

G
#8 ·
When Jennifer posted awhile back about her beags anal gland problem I did a little research on the web. One of the things I remember learning is that beagles anal glands are evacuated regularly if they have firm stools. If dogs have soft stools then their glands might not get evacuated and they might get uncomfortable and make your dog do the sidewalk or carpet scoot. The scooting then may cause abrasions leading to infection.

So, awhile back when Cayenne stayed at the kennel for a couple days, she had a food change as well as the severe stress drooling. I imagine this caused soft stools cause when she got home she was scoot scoot scooting everythwere. Withing a day or two, after being back on her regular feed and resulting firm stools the scooting disappeared.

I know extrememly hot weather affects my digestion. (Wow there is no way to talk about this delicately is there!) I wonder if the heat affects our beags the same way? Just a thought.

G
#9 ·
WOW! Tnanks for all of the suggestions! We have prednisone on board now and she has stopped licking back there allowing the pinkness to go down. Her stools are firm, so she's evacuating "well" - so I am thinking that it's an allergy - perhaps something on the grass as she has been getting this on her behind and on her inner thighs...I'll let you guys know if I find anything else out=)

Tanx again !

#10 ·
I live in the wet area out in the country now where I grew up, we had the same problem with our hunting dogs as well as our sheppards here for years.

My dad, a trainer called it "jiggers" and usually washed the dogs with some sort of old style soap that caused these little things to go away. They are a very small microscopic type paracite that gets on the skin and causes itching in humans and animals fur buring.

These critters are usually around wet areas like natural springs and slow moving creeks and such. If you have had alot of rain like we are having they will be found in your grass and in the weeds easily.

This is the only thing I can think of that might be your problem.

[This message has been edited by JAISP Tech (edited 06-14-2003).]

G
#11 ·
Oh wow, I had never thought of that...we have been getting buckets of rain almost daily and Daph likes to scurry through the ivy (which hits her inner thighs) and likes to try to dig up our bushes.

Still a mystery - but definately another good angle JAISP!

I'll let you guys know if we pinpoint this!!!

#12 ·
YOu know, Annie has been doing the Butt scoot on the hall carpet. My friend who is a vet tech said her lab is also doing it and for him it is an allergy.
We, too, have had buckets of rain here, the backyard has been flooded for weeks at a time. I think I have mold growing on me so I am sure Annie does as well!
I actually used one of those moist wipes for people on her, it has aloe in it and that seemed to calm things down pretty well.

#14 ·
Oh yes, the Butt Scoot Dance is a popular favorite here too! It's usually brought on in Callie by allergies. She has also added the Butt Scoot Spin...round and round in circles on her fanny. For less severe times, I bathe her in an Oatmeal/allergy shampoo. If it continues, we usually have to get prednisone too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.