Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Bailey, our boy, has had an itching problem since (and even before) we got him. He constantly itches his side around the rib area. He mainly uses his teeth to itch there, but his hind paw sometimes, too. It's always the same place on the same side. The poor thing has thin fur on this area now from doing it for so long. And his skin gets red and scabby when he does it a lot.

We've done so many things to make this go away. We tried limited ingredient/hypoallergenic food. We spray the area with a soothing skin spray and we use an aloe and oatmeal shampoo. The vet ruled out fleas or ticks, and thinks it's an environmental allergy, though I know he had it before we got him. Our other beagle has no allergies. I also find it weird that an environmental allergy would affect the same single place on his body. The vet prescribed some pills that had a slight steroid in them. I was supposed to decrease his dosage over time, but once I get down to one dose a day, the itching starts up again. The medication at the lower dosage at least does make the itching happen less, compared to no meds. I hate the idea of Bailey having to take it the rest of his life (not to mention the expense!!).

Does anyone have any experience with this type of itching with their beagles? Any treatment advice would help, too. Poor Bailey has been suffering from this problem for at least a year. I really want to find a permanent solution.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Winston was a constant scratcher too. I have him on grain free food and had tried a lot of the stuff you mention.
My vet also wondered if it might be environmental and suggested I aim for looking after his skin, because you may never be able to pinpoint exactly what is causing the itch or avoid whatever it is if it is environmental.
I found a fish oil that you put a couple of squirts on his kibble once a day. I can't even remember what it was called. I think it was Grizzly salmon oil. It's probably available at a lot of pet stores, that's where I found it.
Anyway, shortly after I started him on that, he stopped scratching (at least not anymore that the average dog), and his coat is thick and shiny.
I never have even started a second bottle because I wanted to see what might happen and the problem has not returned, Although I have been supplementing his diet with fish formula treats high in omega 3 and 6.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts