Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had our two hounds for 7 and 8 years respectively. We got our girl first, and after a year we got the boy. She was well mannered and when he came along, he learned all the rules and tricks from her inside of one day. No kidding. They have always been respectful and obedient and never chewed a sofa leg or the TV stand or my shoes (or my wife's shoes, she has enough of them to feed a Beagle army...Duh-oh!) and strangely enough, every time we hear or read a story about someone's beagle stealing the Thanksgiving Turkey off the dining room table, or literally licking some young childs ice cream cone and making them cry, I always wonder if it's true. Those stories are EVERYWHERE though! But at our house during dinner we make them sit still on the floor at our side. No begging, no whining/whimpering, no paws on the edge of the table, no pawing at our ankles or thighs, etc. Once we are done with dinner, we let them lick the plates. Which they are more than happy to do.
So last night I invite my father over for a little BBQ. I wanted to meet his new dog, he saved an Australian Sheppard from the pound. She is adorable too! Got along great with the pack. Anyway, the main course was two meats: chicken terriyaki and fillet mignon from Omaha steaks. 7 ounces of tender succulent melt in your mouth fillets. I fired up the grille, which is just outside the dining room door on my patio. My mom loves her steak rare, so I pulled hers off the grill first and came inside and put in on her plate. She was still in the kitchen with my wife and my dad was in the living room. I asked her to bring a steak knife and slice it in the middle to make sure it was cooked to her liking, and it was. I went back outside to finish the others which took about 3, maybe four minutes. When I came back in with the steaks and chicken breasts, my mom was still in the kitchen with my wife and my dad was just coming to the table. I askd my mom if she ate her steak already, as her plate was empty. She said no, and she asked if it was on the platter of juicy goodness that was still in my hands. I said no. She thought I had taken back out to the grill to keep warm. Then my dad chimes in I looked at the table from the living room a few minutes ago to see if chow was ready and saw Tinker sitting in one of the chairs, just sitting still like Mr nonchalant, as if he was waiting to be served. I thought it was cute!. Well we all looked at each other, and then at the empty plate, and then for Tinker. He was sitting on the kitchen floor, trying to pretend nothing happened. But you could see it in his face. He knew he did something wrong! He looked guilty as all get out, but he looked dang happy too. It's the only time he's had top of the line fillet mignon, and hopefuly, it's his last... The infamous Beagle Food Theif struck our house!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Been there before. Remind to tell you the Murphy's Stolen Steak story some time.

<span style="font-weight: bold">NEVER leave food on the table UNATTENDED with beagles around.</span>

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
He obviously has excellent taste!
One of my vet's techs also runs a Bed and Breakfast - in addition to other dogs, she also has a beagle. One day she put a WHOLE HAM out on the counter to thaw.....anyone want to guess what happened to the ham? Beagle had to have tummy pumped - of several gallons of ham! Dr. Randy said beagle would have died if they hadn't pumped his tummy. The lengths to which a beagle will go! About the most mine have done (I try not to leave food where they can reach it) is to steal a partial loaf of bread off the counter. Bella (aka Wilt because of her long legs and ability to LEAP) apparently was able to reach a little of the bag the bread was in. Guess she wanted a sandwich
!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Menolly has to be watched constantly. Sjhe used to try and steal food right off our plates; now after begging fr a while, she curls up next top me, knowing I won't give in. She will steal if we leave food lying out, though. I tried a couple times to train her to leave food alone, byu leaving bread on a chair and waiting with the squirt bottle from a distance; but I think she knew what was up, She barely sniffed the bread and walked away. Little stinker!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
LOL! Go Tinker! He just wanted to join in the BBQ with the family. You're lucky it took 8 years for it to happen. Jersey is a big time food theif so I'm quite familiar with the guilty but happy look.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Sounds like your hound just became a fully fledged Beagle.

Very funny story, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Monty has stolen raw chicken breasts waiting to go on the BBQ before. and whole loaves of bread. and anything else you leave within his reach!!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Oh yeah, Duke has taken down more than a few things on the counter. Congrats on having a beagle!

·
Registered
276 Posts
our dogs would probably run around howling with joy if they got their teeth on a steak
...we had both my wife's and my family over for Memorial Day weekend this year and everyone was in the living room and my brother walked into our kitchen and found Rocky getting some homemade cinnamon rolls that my mom made. I think he only got a couple before he was caught, after that we have never left anything anywhere near the edge of the counter

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Then there was the time Murphy and Summer ate 2.5 pound of Puperoni. Murphy ate the bulk of it. We dubbed him Battleship Murphy after that (he was shaped like a battleship, narrow at the ends and WIDE in the middle).

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Originally Posted By: Joe Beagles

<span style="font-weight: bold">NEVER leave food on the table UNATTENDED with beagles around.</span>
So very true!!
Even if said beagle is 12 years old, so arthritic she has to be helped up on the sofa and into the car, and if said food is too high for elderly beagle to reach without jumping!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
You just reminded me to hug the Bagel again tonight. I can leave a full plate of my meal with steak etc, on the seat of a chair at Bagel height and a gentle “that’s not yours” will be sufficient to avoid any Bagel encroachment for at least 8 to 10 minutes during which time I leave the room to retrieve drinks, eating utensils etc. I can say that the Bagel in the 10 and half years he’s been with me, he has never snitched any food not willingly offered. He does, however, eagerly watch unattended food, giving me the stare, then look at the food awaiting permission perform his dutiful cleanup and beagle pre-wash. The Bagel has never tasted fillet mignons only because I’m to cheap to buy it, but he does get his share of Prime Rib and Ribeye Steak from Outback though I think he likes a double cheeseburger “hold the bun” just as much

1 - 17 of 17 Posts