Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear others' opinion of what breed Yodel is. The rescuer called him a beagle/basset mix, but I think if he is any mix at all, he is a beagle/dachsund mix. I can only put one picture in...I may ask one of the moderators to host/post more pictures of him so that he can be seen better.

Thanks

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I would be happy to post some pictures for you.
I don't see anything to even remind me of a basset, but who knows. I agree that most chances go in favor of Dachsund/Beagle mix. And even then, he is much closer to a Beagle than anything... Yodel is cute and his name fits him perfectly!

addition: have you considered the DNA test (if you are curious), I think it's around $60.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Whatever he is he is beautiful. Those ears are very basset but i can also see dachshund in him. Yodel is very handsome.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eleanor,
I only recently read about DNA testing here on BW. Can you tell me what's involved?
Is it a trip to the vet for blood work or a saliva swab through the mail...?
I would be curious.
Thanks,
Denise

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally Posted By: A doghouseWhatever he is he is beautiful. Those ears are very basset but i can also see dachshund in him. Yodel is very handsome.
Thanks Angela.
And the thing about Yodel is that he is as sweet and innocent and friendly as he is handsome. For a rescue, he has postively no baggage...which you and I can relate to, right?

So anybody considering a rescue...Yodel is proof positive that they aren't all mentally or emotionally scarred.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yodel is a cutie! I love his black mask.
I'd guess beagle/dachshund, but with that face and loving attitude, who really cares?

Still, it would be interesting to know...

Sylvia

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I just see sweetness in Yodel!
I'd agree with you that, if there is anything mixed in with beagle, it would be daschund -- I don't see any basset.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally Posted By: Murphy & Summer's DadYodel looks like a beagle to me.
I think it's the coloring that throws me off. His feet and appetite are big like a beagle and he definetely has the sniff instinct and the arooo like a beagle.

Because of the black face, his eyes aren't as dramatic or sad looking like I see on beagly faces. And he doesnt' have the constant sad-looking tearing that Henry and some others have.

His legs are short and his body seems relatively long.

Like Sylvia says though...it doens't matter. He is so sweet and lovable, he could be anything he wanted to be. <3

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally Posted By: judymaggieI just see sweetness in Yodel!
I'd agree with you that, if there is anything mixed in with beagle, it would be daschund -- I don't see any basset.
I agree with you, Judy! If it's anything, it's dachsund...don't know where they got basset.

And he is every bit as sweet as his face makes him out to be.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I don't really see Bassett either. I'd say Beagle/Dachsund too.

I've met a few Beagle/Bassetts mixes and they don't look anything like Yodel.

I can vouch for some rescues coming with no baggage. I would say that Sherry doesn't have any mental or emotional scarring because she is so easy going, happy and nothing upsets or frightens her.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
That is a Beagle, and a cute one at that. His coloring is so different and IF he is a mix, I would be on the Dachsund side because of the coloring and nose.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
My previous dog was a dachshund and Yodel definitely has some dachshund in him from what I can see. I think he's got Beagle in him too. No matter what he is, he's adorable.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Originally Posted By: Joe and VinnyThat is a Beagle, and a cute one at that. His coloring is so different and IF he is a mix, I would be on the Dachsund side because of the coloring and nose.
I agree.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have to agree with the beagle/doxie vote. My best friend has three bassets and I don't see a resemblance to them except his coloring. Her female is marked just like Yodel, down to the brown eye brows.

Here is Tallulah:

As you can see, Yodel ears are a little shorter and he doesn't need to pull up his socks!

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Well, I would say that his feet and legs look suspiciously bassett-like. (My Shiloh is a beagle/bassett and she has short legs and fattish feet.) And his ears look like a bassett. But his markings do remind me of a doxie. Whatever the mix, he sure is a cutie!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts