Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I am new to this wonderful forum and a relatively new Beagle Mum. Our baby Penny is an absolute delight, she is 6 months old now and just got spayed 3 days ago - who would know, she is bounding around as usual. We have been thinking seriously about getting another Beagle Baby as a companion for Penny. I notice that many of you have more than one Beagle, I'd love to know how that works for you - the pros and cons.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
From my experience, 2 are better than 1. Why? Got me, it just is. However, I suspect that because Beagles are bread to hunt in packs, they are just more comfortable with other Beagles or other dogs.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Also, I forgot to say welcome to the forum, we are glad to have you. Pardon my manners.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Welcome!
We got our two beagles from a shelter at the same time so I'm not sure what having one beagle is like. lol But we love having two. They keep each other company and play together. Well, when Rocky isn't being grumpy anyway. LOL! I don't feel as bad leaving them while I'm at work because I know they're not alone. I will say if you're by yourself it can be more difficult to train them, so you may want to work on training your first one first, or getting someone to help you. I don't find really doing anything else with them a problem. Even when my hubby doesn't want to go for a walk or isn't home, I don't really have any trouble walking them by myself.

All in all I think if you have the option to have two, it's a wonderful thing!!
Just a side-note... they're a bit addicting. The hubby and I have been talking about getting a third one. LOL Oh, and they will find ways to get into mischief together.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Having two is wonderful if you're a busy person. Our two were recently separated on a trial period and, incidentally, to allow Quinn to heal properly from her spaying. While separated, they are fine, but they want our attention every second of the day. When they are together, they can play with each other all day long, and we have to force them to look at us.

If anything, I can tell you that, from personal experience, what you read online about dogs being more doggy when there's more than one is not necessarily true. If you still give them attention, they will love you to death. They just may not show it because they're too busy playing with each other.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello everyone - Wow, I am overwhelmed at receiving replies so quickly and your very warm welcomes - Thank you sooooo much !!!! Well, it seems that a companion for Penny is getting the thumbs up. We will be looking at new babies next week and see who picks us - they won't be ready for another month or so, the excitement is brewing already. You guys helped verify our thoughts that two really is company. Penny is running around madly at the moment (I think she really does understand HumanSpeak)and is excited at the prospect of a new baby sister. Once again, thank you for your feedback. Have a great day!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Welcome!
We started with one (and the beagle thing happened by accident), and now have three!!
It is great! They get along well, keep each other company (and us too), and are the best dogs ever!

Naturally it is a little more work and like people, they each have their own personalities so to speak. So it can be an adjustment but definately one worth making!

Good luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
106 Posts
i am in a very similar situation. have a 7 month old and just bought a 8 week old. their time together has been limited so far as they have too much excitement to be controlled and play too rough so just ensure you are prepared with a way to keep them seperated...

other than that, they seem to love each others company and even when it looks like young Bindi has been hurt, she gets back up and runs at Milo at full pace. once she is abit bigger, they will be able to wrestle all day.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
2 is nearly always better than 1. Even Beagles need a friend.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you do decide to get another one I would sooner is better then later. We're fostering a dog after Corey was to being an only child for over a year and a half. There have been definat problems with only child syndrome and while you can train it out why out you and your dog through the extra stress?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts