Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Ya know I've been going through a roller-coaster with Kylie. Up for a couple days and then down for a couple of days.

Kylie will be 5 weeks post op on Wednesday from her IVDD surgery.

Anyway....on Friday afternoon, she took a HUGE turn for the better.

She is not in the crate while we are right with her. She even walked to the door to go outside and pee all weekend. This has been the 3rd day with her showing improvements each day. She even is playing (or being her pesty self) to her sister. I hope she doesn't over do. I know I've read about crate crate crate for 6 weeks but she's ready to go OUT! I am NOT letting her jump up or down!

Do I have my beagle back?

Renee

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Fingers and paws crossed that this turn for the better is a permanent one!

Booker also had IVDD surgery on three disks on her neck in April 2002 and I recall that by about 5 weeks post-op she was starting to do things again that I really wished she wouldn't... like jumping up on our bed (and then down again) and tossing her blanket over her with her head (she has to be covered by a blanket and if we are not there to do it she can do it herself).

So I definitely can relate that it must be really hard to balance seeing Kylie become herself again against the fear that she will overdo it - but within certain limits I think you have to let her go a bit... and Booker didn't manage to do anything that permanently affected her recovery, despite her best efforts!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I should also say that we were not told to crate Booker at all following her IVDDD surgery - just to try to limit her from doing things like jumping up and down from the bed and tossing her blankets over her head...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Sounds like Kylie has turned the corner. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Fingers and paws crossed that every day brings her closer to her former self.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
So glad you are seeing so many good days with Kylie! When the scales tip to more good days than bad, you know you are on the road to recovery. I have found with Maggie that it is so hard to keep her inactive once she starts to feel better after surgery.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Very pleased to hear you are seeing an improvement, hope this continues and you see a complete recovery.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I sure hope Kylie has turned the corner Renee ....you 2 have certainly been through alot !!

·
Registered
702 Posts
For humans, any kind of orthopedic surgery takes six weeks to heal -- I've had many of these and the pain and movement always seemed to get loads better at six weeks.

I would imagine it's about the same for animals -- bone is bone, after all. So glad Kylie is doing really well now. Hopefully, no more roller coasters for you both. :thumbup:

Monica and Daisy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
So happy to read the good news about Kylie!! :thumbup: Tell her to keep up the good work!! (And you too!) Is she continuing to make good progress?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Just checking in to see if there is any update on Kylie - hope her improvement from earlier this week continued over the next few days...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts