Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Katie is actually my first dog. She is 10 months old around about and is currently in her heat cycle. I am finding that she pees alot, I read online that peeing frequently could be normal while in heat but sometimes she actually has accidents! She only had 3 accidents since I have had her, once today, once prior to the heat starting and on the first night here. Is it normal for a female to have accidents while in heat? She was also a bit irritable last week, I chalked it up to PMS..:rolleyes: Also to day I notcied that her puppy garment pad was wet about a hour or 2 after she had that accident, I maybe over reacting becuase she does do nothing but lick herself and I guess could be drooling in the padded diaper I really dont know. Is incontence a heat thing or not? She is getting spayed as soon as she can in either case. She is such a sweet girl and I just adore her. I may be having new baby syndrome..:giggle:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok after talking to someone with doggy experience she reminded me that Katie came from a house where she was outside most of the day and inside all evenings and night. Maybe she needs to be crate trained a little in the day time.. this last month must have been such a confusing time for her, moving to a new home and her first heat. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
When we got Gino from rescue last year, he was used to a doggie door that his foster had. He started peeing wherever he felt like it when he realized he couldn't get outside himself. He didn't know how to tell us he had to go outside.
Being 6 years old I was concerned he might not get it, but with frequent trips outside, praise and the help of our other beags, he got it rather quickly. Gino cannot be crated, I tried that and he barked incessently for hours!!!

So, that being said, try a few different things. If she is ok in the crate then I highly recommend crate training, it is the easiest, in my opinion. Good luck :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
think I got it figured out, she is coming off the heat now and she is going 3-4 hours without peeing and no accident since, hope it keeps up.:dance:

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Great, that is a big step in the right direction!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you for responding to my post also RosCole. I am really enjoying this forum I have to say!

·
Registered
54 Posts
=) Congrats to the new addition to the family! I'm sure she's just getting used to the new surroundings. Crate training, frequent trips outside, praise when done correctly, and "no touch, no talk, no eye-contact" when not (can't forget to mention a whole lot of Natures Miracle and newspapers for cleaning)... Anyway, Good Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts