Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone. I’m about to pick up a beagle and need your help determining if this pup is purebred. She is blue tri-coloured. I’d really appreciate someone helping out as soon as possible. Thanks so much!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Cute but I would say no since the ears are not as long as a purebred. Also the fur is more fluffy than short hair.
My biggest concern is that you are considering taking a dog at 30 days? Is that right? A puppy shouldn't leave the mother and littler before 8 weeks. If the breeder is pushing you to take the dog at 30 days that raises a concern. This my dog in the picture as a puppy with longer ears and a smoother coat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Cassie. No, I’m not taking this pup at the moment. She needs more time with the mum. 2 months is minimum time. So I’ll take the pup after 2 months. What are the other indications that she isn’t a purebred? I’m not too big on purebred vs mix. This is only for my knowledge. Your dog looks really cute btw! :)
Thank you.

Are there chances that her ears might grow longer?
Cute but I would say no since the ears are not as long as a purebred. Also the fur is more fluffy than short hair.
My biggest concern is that you are considering taking a dog at 30 days? Is that right? A puppy shouldn't leave the mother and littler before 8 weeks. If the breeder is pushing you to take the dog at 30 days that raises a concern. This my dog in the picture as a puppy with longer ears and a smoother coat.
View attachment 41748

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Oh good that the puppy will stay more time with the mom. I doubt the ears will grow to about the chin length.. i did notice the dog has a white tip on the tail which is a correct beagle feature. My dog has a lot of black also.
The puppy is adorable and if you love it...go for it! Hopefully someone else on the forum will give an opinion too.
Promise to stay on the forum and let us know how things go..:giggle:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, her white-tipped, erect standing tail is the most purebred-assuring feature at the moment. And yes, I will surely stay on and send more updates. Thank you so much :)
Oh good that the puppy will stay more time with the mom. I doubt the ears will grow to about the chin length.. i did notice the dog has a white tip on the tail which is a correct beagle feature. My dog has a lot of black also.
The puppy is adorable and if you love it...go for it! Hopefully someone else on the forum will give an opinion too.
Promise to stay on the forum and let us know how things go..:giggle:

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Great! I got my dog at 8wks and Cassie is now 8yrs old.. i survived puppyhood. Read all you can about puppies and ask as many questions as you need.
Cassie says Hi

·
Super Moderator
5,088 Posts
It's so hard to tell when they are so tiny. Ears are a bit small. My two purebred beagles have large ears, my mix had short ears. Adorable pup.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's so hard to tell when they are so tiny. Ears are a bit small. My two purebred beagles have large ears, my mix had short ears. Adorable pup.
Thank you :) So the breeder says that the ears will grow eventually and will meet the beagle standard of reaching the nose. Did your puppies have longe ears at 30 days?

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I dont know.. i didnt see my dog until about 7 weeks as seen in the picture i posted. Post pictures as the dog matures into 8 wks... Honestly its hard for us to tell without seeing it in person. What are you going to name it?
Have you had a puppy before?
Do you have a yard?
Get a good size crate

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont know.. i didnt see my dog until about 7 weeks as seen in the picture i posted. Post pictures as the dog matures into 8 wks... Honestly its hard for us to tell without seeing it in person. What are you going to name it?
Have you had a puppy before?
Do you have a yard?
Get a good size crate
Yes. I’ll surely post pics. We’ve spoken to the breeder, and she’s now our little girl :D We’re excited to bring her home.

We’re going to name her Judy :) Yep, I have Lassie (Lhasa apso + country breed) who is now 16+ years, a veteran. She has had many puppies that I fostered and gave away for adoption. We’re eager to see how Judy gets along with Lassie. Lassie is an absolute darling with puppies. Her maternal instincts kick in as soon as she’s around a pup. In the past when I fostered a few friends’ pups, Lassie did most of the taking care work for me :)

I don’t have a yard. I live in an apartment. But I’ve got a separate room/garden room for the babies. There’s also a lake and park some 20 metres away from my apartment. So they can run and roll all they want. And yes, we’ll soon buy her bed, crate, toys, chewies and more.

Is it necessary that purebred beagle pups have long ears?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
The American Kennel Club describes the ears as long houndy ears. By the way.. WARNING...Beagles are NOT OFF-LEASH dogs.. they'll run after a scent every time so dont expect the beagle to stay by you off leash...

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Thats where a yard is helpful. They are pullers so I stopped trying to walk Cassie since a few years ago I had a bad fall ( not caused by the dog) and fractured my shoulder. Cassie frequently went to camp to blow off energy...lol
She's mostly content now to lounge on the patio furniture
Since you have dogs when she's old enough you can try walking as a pack.

·
Super Moderator
5,088 Posts
The beagles I have now (the ones in my profile picture) were rescued as adults, they are 10 and 14 now. My first beagle I got as a pup and met him when he was 8 weeks - his ears were HUGE but he grew into them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats where a yard is helpful. They are pullers so I stopped trying to walk Cassie since a few years ago I had a bad fall ( not caused by the dog) and fractured my shoulder. Cassie frequently went to camp to blow off energy...lol
She's mostly content now to lounge on the patio furniture View attachment 41753 View attachment 41754 .
Since you have dogs when she's old enough you can try walking as a pack.
She looks so relaxed. Is the yard big enough for her to burn all that energy?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The beagles I have now (the ones in my profile picture) were rescued as adults, they are 10 and 14 now. My first beagle I got as a pup and met him when he was 8 weeks - his ears were HUGE but he grew into them.
lovely! what are their names? Could you share a pic of your first beagle?

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
We have a large yard but have fenced off a large portion for her connected to the patio. She's not into running around much anymore or even playing with toys. We couldn't have her free in the whole yard since we have lavender bushes that attract bees and she's been stung and had to be treated. She insists on getting inside all the bushes and plants..cant bring in a muddy dog. She spends a lot of time looking for lizards and getting them...and no she doesnt eat them...just carries her prize around...lol
She used to do "zoomies" at full speed when she was younger.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We have a large yard but have fenced off a large portion for her connected to the patio. She's not into running around much anymore or even playing with toys. We couldn't have her free in the whole yard since we have lavender bushes that attract bees and she's been stung and had to be treated. She insists on getting inside all the bushes and plants..cant bring in a muddy dog. She spends a lot of time looking for lizards and getting them...and no she doesnt eat them...just carries her prize around...lol
She used to do "zoomies" at full speed when she was younger.
😆! Does she like to play in water? Do Beagles in general like to go swimming?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts