Our Beagle World Forums banner

Is Sparky a mix?

4K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Karebru 
#1 ·
The first time I saw Sparky, I could tell there was something... odd about the little guy. (As far as beagles go.) His front legs are kind of... swept back. Or his neck is extra long... or something.

Does anyone else see dachshund in this picture?

See less See more
#2 ·
Actually in that picture, I think I see more Basset than doxie (just the feet and body) - but Sparky COULD very well be full beagle - I have a little girl from show lines who also has very short legs - but is stockier than some of the others.

This picture will show you some of the variations in beagles - they're all mine and are all registered pure beagles - and all are different!

To be honest, it doesn't matter if Sparky is all beagle or not unless you plan to breed him - some of the best dogs I've ever had in my 69 years have been mixed breeds. I'm sure you love Sparky just as he is. I think he's adorable! But then I'm a beagle nut!

#5 ·
Sparky reminds me of Yodel. Although Sparky's coloring is definetely beagle. Like Sparky, Yodel has the shorter legs, big feet and long body (compared to his short legs). He's been called a beagle/doxie mix by the vet and a beagle/basset mix by the rescuer who took him in.

Sparky is a sweet-looking little guy...whatever he is!

PS...I tried to post an image of Yodel through Imageshack but something has changed on that site and now I can't do it.

#6 ·
He looks all beagle to me, but who knows!
I've often wondered if Daisy is all beagle. I don't see much coloring like hers in beagles, and she is small with little stubby legs like a doxie.

I love her anyway!!

#7 ·
Actually with Sparky's coloring, he reminds me of my Jack - who is in the lower left corner of the Ricardo Pack picture. His brother, Joe is next to him, and while they're littermates, they really aren't alike - either in temperment, looks or build. Jack is stockier than Joe who is built more like his maternal grandmother. Then there's their sister, Angel, who is on the other end of the bottom row - all have same parents but different litters. You just never know what you're going to get with beagles - even in the same litter with the same parents.

#8 ·
I'm sorry everyone! I see ALL BEAGLE there.
Sparky, except for his face coloring, looks EXACTLY like Abbey, Chloe's friend, and she is 100%, purebred Beagle.

Some Beagles just have shorter legs. He looks completely Bealgey to me, and even if he's not - he's sweet, and as stated before you love him anyway...

#12 ·
I often think Violet may have some Doxie in her, too. Most people think I'm crazy, but some can see it. It's in her eyes and nose and the way she moves. Not that it matters, her actions and personality are 100% beagle! And we love her, no matter what.

#15 ·
I agree, I don't see anything but pure unadulterated beagle there! Violet is adorable - just like Sparky! My Chloe reminds me of a doxie in some ways, but she's all beagle - she's just very tiny. Frankly it doesn't matter WHAT she is - as far as I'm concerned, she's pure love and is my little
! As previously said, beagles come in all sizes, shapes and colors - by the way, one of the little males from JoJo's last litter was almost all white. Sadly he only lived a couple of days, but he WAS all beagle - just very different. He was just too small to survive

#16 ·
We didn't think anything about how different Chipper, our first Beagle, looked, until we saw a basset and then we knew...his mother was a liar about where she had been the night he was conceived. We knew he wasn't a beagle, or a basset totally, but he was beautiful, healthy and the most wonderful dog we had ever had or hope to have. So does it matter about paperwork, not to me. I have enough papers on the floor when they are pups to file in the 13 basket :eek:) Love him to pieces and he will do the same.

Cathy j

#17 ·
Talk about Beagles being different...
It’s funny how Sadie and Sparky are very different “on the hunt”.
Sadie works slowly, meticulously, and silently when they’re scenting a squirrel, but she never looses it.
Sparky, on the other hand is very vocal as he runs around frantically trying to pick it up again because he lost it while moving too fast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.