Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night when I was cuddling with Molly I thought to myself, that she is really skinny, and today my husband said something about her being skinny as well. Molly is now almost 14 weeks old and between 11 and 12 lbs. This picture was taken around 2 weeks ago. It's not easy to take one with her standing up, since she will run or at least move really fast when she stands. What should a 3 month old Beagle girl weight (we think she is a 14 Beagle when she is all grown up)?!?

Attachments

·
Registered
472 Posts
I don't remember how much ours weighed at that age but she looks great to me. I would think maybe she is just going through a growth spurt and stretching out a little??

·
Registered
991 Posts
I second the growth spurt idea. She looks great (and super adorable) to me. Love her collar! I girl can not have to much bling! Maybe she is thinking you can not be too rich (bling) or too thin! lol

·
Registered
582 Posts
I remember Sadie going through stages... Getting longer and taller, then bulking up for a while, etc.
The final stage of growth for beagles always seems to leave them in the bulking up mode.
Count your blessings for a skinny beagle.

·
Registered
511 Posts
She is just about perfect. Beagles can easily get obese, so you're starting on the right track.

If you think she needs some exercise please feel free to send her here for a while. Murphy and me would love to have her as a walking companion!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Take a peek over at my picture of the Beaglebratz in the Friday Funny photos - I didn't realize I was posting a pic that included Shasta B. when she was about the same age as Molly is now and she now stands a little over 14 inches. BTW - Molly looks good to me yes, growth spurts are very common at her age.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just had this conversation with my vet. Snoopy will be 5 this year and weighs 23 pounds. The vet said people often think their dogs are thin when in fact they are not. My mom always insists on feeding Snoopy when we visit. She says I am starving her. However, the vet said Snoopy's weight is perfect for her size. I think Molly looks great. I wouldn't worry. Here is some info on this topic.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2099&aid=661

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all so much! Molly is a maniac most of the time running around like crazy. Thank you Bubbles, I bookmarked the link, so I can keep track of her weight. Like everyone else, I just want the best for Molly, and like every Beagle/Dog Mommy I worry a lot about little things.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I don't think she looks skinny at all. She's a very pretty girl.

I resized your picture to conform with the 650 pixels wide restriction for this forum.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I remember that our Maggie weighed 13 lbs. at five months so I would say your pup weighs even less than ours. Sometimes I think she looks skinny by I've had more problems with overweight dogs so as long as she's eating and seeming peppy I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
959 Posts
She looks GREAT! Beagles are prone to getting heavy, and you don't want her to start to spread now or ever. Cobi was almost 36 lbs last winter...and has trimmed himself down to just under 29 lbs. A few more to go, he is 8 years old. Casie came to us at 13 months and is 22 lbs...when he came to us he was 18 lbs. He looked skinny and we could see his ribs...but he was still a puppy and figured we'd put a could lbs on him over the winter. Well, we got 1 lbs and he has matured physically to a dog in the last year. Molly looks good, she's still young and will lose some of that puppy littlness, but she's not a big dog..so she might always be tiny and petite.

·
Registered
251 Posts
She looks great! At 16 weeks Rocky weighed 15.9lbs. And now, at 20 weeks, he wighs about 20! (My scale isn't that good...)

·
Registered
614 Posts
I don't see her ribs so I wouldn't worry. The rule is you can feel her ribs but not see them is when she is at perfect weight. Dixie is getting on the thicker size, but vet says she is fine at 32 lbs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts