Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all:

One of the reasons I am posting this is to ask those of you experts for some commentary.

We acquired "Annie" at a rescue. The people that ran the rescue, told us that both parents are beagles. Not that it would change the way we feel about her, but recently she is bigger than other beagles.

She seems like more of a beagle harrier in size and shape.

Her statistics:
color: tri
height: 19"
length (tip of the nose to the hind): 34.5"
weight: 21.5 kg (47.4 pounds)

We know several beagle owners. Some of them suggested that she's not a 100% beagle.

Any comments?

I will try to have pictures posted under "Annie" in the gallery

·
Registered
324 Posts
Most purebred beagles are somewhere between 13-16 inches tall but weight I thik-IMO-is debateable. Some show class beagles are about 23-26 lbs. but some house dogs(like mine)can be between35-45 lbs.. Weight varies in Beagles depending on exercise they get. Guess hieght could to but never seen one taller. Beagles were orginally bred from English Hound and they were usually 16 inches,so possible some may be taller.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
The Harrier Club of America has a helpful website about how to tell if your "oversize" beagle is a harrier - and basically it sounds like the answer is usually "no"...

http://www.harrierclubofamerica.com/help/so_you_think_you_have_a_harrier.html

I have seen a few beagles from Ontario that are noticeably bigger than other beagles we see around here - they make Moose (who is a 16 inch or so beagle) seem really small and runty. Those owners have always insisted their beagles are 100% beagle, too. I notice you are in Michigan so maybe Annie comes from those same giant beagle lines!

In any event, a lot of us here with rescues are never 100% sure if our rescue beagles are 100% beagle - and many of them probably have had other things mixed in there at some point... but I know we have decided with our youngest Popcorn that it really doesn't matter and we consider her a "real" beagle even without papers to prove it and her head is a little bit too small and her body a little bit too long!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Make sure you measure at the shoulder for the proper height assessment. This is how the AKC measures.

Annie could be a Harrier, however they are very rare. Most all Harrier pups are spoken for prior to birth. They are very pricey as well. The chances of a Harrier being at the pound are slim.

My guess is Annie is some kind of a mix between a Beagle and Foxhound. Coloring and characteristics of Foxhounds are similar to Beagles but stand 23-25".

Annie could be a Beagle through and through. I have a neighbor who has 8 Beagles that he hunts with, and several of them are much bigger than my 15" Beagle. He tells me he gets from a breeder somewhere in Canada.

I.m sure your dog regardless of her genetic makeup, with be a great companion.

Good luck

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Howdy, Annie sounds like a nice dog who was lucky enough to get rescued by good folks. Most show beagles in the US fit into the 13" or 15" class but not a small number can't make the 15" class which is measured at the Whithers. 16" or 17" are beagle standards in other countries and an 18" or 19" beagle could well be all beagle. As Joe suggested, sometimes a foxhound gets into a line of hunting breed beagles. Pictures might help but my rescue beagle and I say, welcome to Beagle World Annie.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World. :wave: We're not very picky about whether or not the beagles here are "really" beagles. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif Many of us have rescues and, that being the case, can't positively state that our babies are "all" beagle.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
It's impossible to tell for sure. Annie sounds a bit large for a Beagle. I'd guess that if she looks like a Beagle, but just bigger, that she's probably got some Fox Hound in her. I've got a Beagle with unknown lineage too. Jersey was a rescue. Her mom, Dixie, was found as a stray on the side of the road in North Florida. She was VERY pregnant at the time and gave birth to 10 Beagley puppies a few days later. A few days after that Dixie and her pups were turned over to the rescue that I adopted Jersey from. Jersey is tall for a Beagle, 17 in at the whithers. But otherwise she looks like a Beagle. I'll never know for sure what else is in there. I love her all the same. And as Sandy said, we don't care at all if your baby isn't all Beagle!

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World!! :wave: Your Annie does sound a bit tall for a beagle; she may have some fox hound in her. My Shiloh had the opposite problem--she is a bit short for a beagle, and her body is longer than most. Her parents were said to be purebred beagles too, but we're pretty sure she's got some bassett hound in her. (Which makes her a bagel, I think. Not to be confused with Bob's Bagel!) Her legs are not quite as short as bassetts, but definatly shorter than most beagles. But she has a beagle face, ears, tail, and those beautiful beagle eyes. I'm sure your Annie is wonderful too, :)and look forward to seeing pictures.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the replies and comments, we very much appreciated them.

Feels good to be in a group of Beagle fans !

Annie's owner

·
Registered
34 Posts
Chief is very tall and about 35 pounds (looks good at that weight) He is quite a bit larger than our other two that are purebred. We were'nt sure at the beginning that he was all beagle and thought he might be a Harrier. The original owners left their contact info however and he did come with papers and is in fact all beagle.
His orginal owners were transferred to another city and moved into an apartment that didn't take dogs. We rescued him an hour after they surrendered him. He had to stay one day and we took him to be neutered ourselves.

·
Registered
139 Posts
We saw a dog that sounds exactly as you describe at the pet supply store awhile back. The guy said it was a rescue and he was told it was a Fox hound... it looked like an oversized Beagle in every way to me!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Welcome to beagle world. Photos please and then maybe we can determine whether you have a beagle/cross or not. Either way you will love her. :wave:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts