Our Beagle World Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It is not cheap here either! I prob will only be able to do it once a week and the other days have a dog walker.

·
Registered
398 Posts
IMO. Its best to socialize ASAP. by taking them outside. by the time a puppy has its 3rd set the are already past so many stages in life. and are now tarting to come to their fear period. its going to make it twice as hard to socialize him to every thing from people, to cars, to street lamps, garabage cans, sirens, dogs, cats, wildlife, trains, rain, wind, leaves ect.

critical socialization time is up to 16 weeks. by waiting 14 or 15 weeks. you are going to have a hard time.
as well as with potty training. using pee pads makes a dog think its ok to go in th ehouse, it doesnt help with potty training at all

Im not talking about going to pet stores, dog parks, or even human parks. I just mean some strols up the street and a few blocks. just to see sights and sounds. Other wise this dog may turn in to a very fearful dog. and since I dont think you bought from a responsible breeder 9such as no health testing) the dogs temperment may be off due to poor breeding. id be doing my best now to counter that in to a social dog.

Solo was 4 weeks when I got him. And has been socialized since then. he is a very well rounded dog, nothing bothers him , nothing phases him

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Early Puppy Socilaztion

deleted to start seperate post. thought I was there...ooopppsss

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I hear what you are saying. I'm being told two different things. Each vet has given me strict instructions not to walk him on the street until the 3rd vaccine. I'm callig to see about getting it earlier than next week. Will let u know.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
that is becuase once the vet is out of school their learning stops but in reality the studies, the knowledge and protocals will keep changing due to new information out. It's not that they are bad vets, they are just vets who havn't continued their educationin vaccines and new information and protocals. that is why the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior (AVSAB) changed their reccomendations.

I'm callig to see about getting it earlier than next week. Will let u know.
I hope your talkign about the walk and not the vaccine. Vaccines have to be 3-4 weeks apart to be effective.
http://www.critteradvocacy.org/Canine%20Vaccination%20Guidlines.htm

http://www.critteradvocacy.org/New Vaccination Protocols.htm

trust me, I know new information can be so overwhelming confusing!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'm asking around about walking him. I would never want to put my puppy in a position that would be harmful to him. Thanks very much for your advice!!!! I really appreciate it.

Bythe way he weighed 4.5 last night!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Are there still an unusually high number of distemper cases in NYC? That could be the reason some vets are so cautious about taking your pup out.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Can not find currant stats. .
This link is from 2005
The scientists assumed that many animals brought to the shelter—often strays or abandoned fighting dogs—had not been vaccinated. "We see distemper in shelters , throughout the country," said Schultz, a key task force member. "It doesn't exist as a significant disease for the average pet dog anymore, because if you
vaccinate the dog as a puppy, you've [usually] got lifetime immunity
"
But testing showed the percentage of unvaccinated dogs was even higher than expected. And the team remains concerned that lack of shots doesn't tell the whole story
The scientists worry that the virus has survived so long in this area because a new, vaccine-resistant strain of neurologic distemper is circulating. Maybe another virus is infecting animals, making them more susceptible to distemper. The task force still regularly meets,
and the scientific quest for answers continues......

Task force members said they were shocked to find that 65 percent of the dogs entering the shelter had no evidence of vaccinations—not only against distemper, but also against rabies. A 30 percent figure is more typical, Schultz said. Dygas said most of the infected dogs have been mixed-breed Rottweilers and pit bulls.
"They had been owned and then released on the street. They never saw a veterinarian before," he said. "When those animals were brought here, they already were in bad condition. They didn't have proper nutrition. Their immune system was not prepared to fight any kind of contagious disease."

Distemper Vaccine

Critter Advocacy
Distemper and Parvovirus In 1994, Ft. Dodge marketed a new high titer Parvovirus vaccine (RF11). Testing by Dr. Ron Schultz demonstrated that this vaccine and a new high titer vaccine from Immunovet (Proguard) provided much better protection than all other vaccines against canine parvovirus (19,23). When studies by Dr Schultz demonstrated that the new high titer vaccines by Fort Dodge and Intervet were much more effective, Meriel improved their product to match. Pfizer came out with a high titer vaccine, Vanguard puppy. Pfizer and Biocor still market the old vaccines, Vanguard 5 and Biocor.
The frustrating experiences we had prior to 1995, with vaccine breaks were largely resolved by the new improved vaccines. Attempts to improve the efficacy by more frequent administration of the vaccine are no longer necessary.
According to Dr. Schultz in the Journal of the AVMA Aug. 15. 1995, when a vaccination series given at 2, 3, and 4 months and again at 1 year(>6m0) with a modified live virus, puppies and kittens program memory cells that survive for life, providing lifelong immunity for diseases like Parvo and Distemper.(6, 15, 20, 21,23).
Dr. Leland Carmichael at Cornell University and Dr. Schultz have studies showing immunity against challenge at 7 years for canine distemper and 7 years for parvovirus; and immunity by serology out to 15 years for distemper. (22,23 b). Studies for longer duration are pending (5, 13, 14, 15, 18, 22,23 b, 23c.) *A copy of Dr Schultz's study is in our pet care library for your convenience.
Adverse events from canine distemper vaccine include vaccine induced distemper, vaccine induced folliculitis, and HOD (hypertropic osteodystrophy). HOD is most common in Wiemaraners.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I just added a few to my profile - can you see them?? You'll see he is using wee wee pads right now - i can't walk him outside until he gets his next vaccination which he is getting next week !

AHHHHH he is adorable. He doesn't look that small in the pictures. Were did you get his weight information?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks! I weighed him on my scale. He is about 4.5 now at 14 weeks.

Update - I've been walking Louie on our roof deck and bringing him to puppy class. But still haves been strongly urged by our vet not to walk him down city streets until he has all his shots!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts