Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every night before Beanie goes to sleep, I take her out for a potty break. And so far, she's been going (peeing and pooping) before bed really well. However, about 4 days ago, she started peeing in her crate every night!

The thing is, she isn't peeing in her crate in the middle of the night! She pees outside, comes in, goes into the crate, and then pees WITHIN SECONDS of going back in! Also, the other day, when I took her blanket out of the crate and placed it in the living room, she ran up, sniffed, and peed on it!

This behavior is puzzling to me, because I thought that dogs don't like soiling their beds. Is this normal for a beagle? I don't know what to make of it, but my mom said that maybe she is marking her territory?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hm... that is strange. Is the crate the right size? I've always heard that the dog won't soil where they sleep. However, I've heard that they will go in their crate if there is room in the crate for them to go in one area and sleep in another without having to lay in their own waste. I've read that the crate should be big enough for them to stand up in, turn around in and lay down in.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Winston used to always pee in his crate too, but only when we weren't home. I washed his crate blankets daily hoping he wouldn't think of them as his pee spot. He eventually stopped.
I curbed the frequency of his night time peeing early on by cutting off water after 8PM, and taking him out for a short walk as late as I could before I went to bed. That helped big time. Maybe keep her out a little longer after she pees before bed, she might be a 'littler piddler' and need to go twice in a row.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
How old is Beanie? Is she spayed? If she is anywhere near 9 months and has not been spayed she may be coming into season and it could possibly be that she is marking. If she is younger than that I think it is just an issue of an immature bladder and not marking.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Originally Posted By: Winston's MomWinston used to always pee in his crate too, but only when we weren't home. I washed his crate blankets daily hoping he wouldn't think of them as his pee spot. He eventually stopped.
I curbed the frequency of his night time peeing early on by cutting off water after 8PM, and taking him out for a short walk as late as I could before I went to bed. That helped big time. Maybe keep her out a little longer after she pees before bed, she might be a 'littler piddler' and need to go twice in a row.
Charlie was the same way. We cut off water at 8PM as well. Both go out at that time, then again at 10PM before bed. They stay out at 10 until they have pee'd.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts