Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I've got the family a pup said to be a beagle but as she grows and more I research looking at her pedigree and her long legs etc. I feel she may be a harrier or other taller hound mix. Wondering if anyone can help with this?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,197 Posts
Welcome.. looks beagle to me. So cute for sure. My dog is a purebred and has a lean lanky shape. How old is your dog?
Here's Cassie..

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
What about her pedigree makes you think she's got taller hound? She's a good looking girl!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome.. looks beagle to me. So cute for sure. My dog is a purebred and has a lean lanky shape. How old is your dog?
Here's Cassie..
View attachment 42162
I think because of many of the beagle you find in the UK tend to be of the show type with longer and rounded ears and shorter legs, whereas if you look at the American hunting type beagle they look like my Luna and your Cassie. And looking at Cassie she looks exactly how I feel Luna will grow to look like. She's a cracker! Luna is now 15 weeks. Full of energy and full of chewing 😂. How old is Cassie?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about her pedigree makes you think she's got taller hound? She's a good looking girl!
Hi there. It's just that she has very long legs at this stage and when we look at her we wonder is she going to be much bigger than we thought 🤔😂. Then when you look in to it Google throws up the harrier breed and the foxhound etc. Which are rare breeds here now but look beagle like only taller, so it just made us wonder.

·
Registered
6,197 Posts
Cassie is 9 years old now.. beagles come in different colors and shapes. My dog has looked the same since she was a puppy.. don't listen to those people.. you have a cute beagle.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I agree with Cassie that she's likely all beagle...Xerxes we don't know his history, but he's 16" (taller than standard) and very slim in comparison to a lot of beagles. He's likely purebred, and just that beagles come in all shapes and sizes, as @Cassie says.

Reactions: Cassie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thought I'd update as you were all kind to respond. We got the results from Luna's DNA back. Could definitely see the foxhound in her at times with the long hind legs and more pointed ears of the harrier too. Definitely a strong scent hound. She has strong beagle characteristics for definite.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Oh neat! What a nice mix of hounds.

·
Registered
Nash
6 Posts
We feel the same about our beagle...he’s significantly taller and heavier than what he should be for his age. He’s currently 6.5 months old.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts