Our Beagle World Forums banner

Is Dodger Okay

1K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  allymcbeagle 
#1 ·
Well you know how they say beagles calm down by the age of two? Well Dodger seems to be acting like he is 15 years old, laid back, calm, easygoing, easy to teach, a real good dog, and I don’t even have to use a leash a lot of the time he follows me with great awe I do have treats and I keep the e-collar on him but I only use it when it gets to far away or is into the garbage on the ground, but that is rare. I think pretty soon he’s going to be following me with just my hand signals and voice commands, it’s amazing the change in him, people have asked me what I did I do to to get him, I jokingly say I beat it into him, but that’s not true at all, he just , I think finally got it, I think it clicked in his head, awwww so this is what I need to do to get that treat???? He used to hide in his crate when I broke out the harness for walks now I put his collar on with this shock collar and he wants to go for his walk, it’s fun now, he’s off leash more. Guys is this normal for a 2 year old beagle to be so laid back and calm. He now sits at corners understands no, etc. I just am wondering if this is his personality now? Did I change him or is this my Dodger now anyone else’s beagle do this? I mean he still does silly stuff gets my paper towels, but if I tell he to drop he does, I am amazed 🙃😳 any one understand what I am talking about? Did I break Dodger, am I getting a dog that is sad? Have I over trained him into submission, and he finally gave up. I didn’t beat him but maybe I over did it, I don’t know. He still loves me we still play but he’s soooo much calmer?

See less See more
Discussion starter · #4 ·
I'd say most beagles are not as calm as yours, but the time you spend with him appeals to his pack instinct, he enjoys interacting with you and wants to please you. Beagles are at their worst when left alone to amuse themselves. I believe in setting limits and being consistent, in my training experience (not a professional trainer, just learned as I go).

Training in one sense is asking your pet to be submissive to you, especially if you used a shock collar - he learned if he didn't do what you asked, there was an averse reaction (shock). Agree with what Cassie said above, if he is happy and loves you that is what is important. If he was showing agression or fear, then I'd be worried.

If you will be letting him off leash, get him microchipped if you haven't; if he becomes lost, out of range of the device, he could also lose his collar id. The if he's lost and someone finds him, any vet or shelter can read the microchip.

Ally was never high energy either, nor inclined to wander. She was a slow, methodical sniffer. Smelling the roses was more interesting than charging after prey at the end of a scent. In the backyard if I was weeding, I kept her on a short leash affixed to my pocket. Sitting on the patio, she had no inclination to leave the yard, she preferred being near us. But I never left her outside alone even for a minute. On trails or hikes I didn't let her off leash as she did have selective hearing when sniffing. She was ok off-leash at the beach as well because she didn't romp in the surf or go in the water, she hated water - bath time was fun (not).
I think your right Dodger has always been the sort laid back kinda beagle, never the barker, a snoozer, we just came from the vet, cost me nearly 500 he’s a lover, all the girls up there just loved on him, he wags his tail, his kiss them let’s them swoon all over him and they love that he has such good Mainers, but he’s taken time to get there with those good Mainers I told the vet, I was worried I had broken his spirit, but she didn’t seem to think so, she seems to think he might be over weight and caring to much weight has caused him to slow down, so she wants him to lose 10 lbs and no more big snacks, and she’s checking his thyroid, so that might be his why he’s slow and lethargic changes behavior, so when the weathers begins to change our walks will get longer and his weight will go down and he will feel better, but Cassie you have been a pick me up all winter for me and Dodger thanks 😊❤🌺You have been too kind….The vet is also concerned about his breathing and snoring so she might to surgery on his palate to better help him breathe ( ouch ) and also while he was there, it was sooooo funny any of you have one of them beagles that has that hyper breathing issue your poor pup starts snort breathing when they get nervous, well Dodger did just that sound and it awful, poor vet tech…lol but he comes out of it with a few ata boys, but anyways thanks everyone, Dodger is my baby boy and yes I spend a lottttt of time with him and the vet says dogs only need a cup of food a day in Dodger’s case to lose weight, otherwise they will stay fat, and beagles get fat quickly, so I have to STOP spoiling him and guy get on me too….will ya ….Cassie and anytime I come here whining….lol God Bless have a wonderful day hope it’s warm we’re ever seen you are 💐🐛🐞

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Yes he does have that reverse sneezing, but he seems to only do it when he’s nervous… sounds awful… yeah me and Dodger are on a race as to who’s going to out live whom, I am 64 and beagles live up to 15 years, so we are in a race…lol, I hope the vet doesn’t operate too, but she took him into another room to listen closely to his breathing, because she just didn’t like how hard it was for him to breath, and she says beagles in general have those palate problems like men do that snore loud, but beagles can really have breathing issues and I can hear him all the time even when he’s just snuggling he sounds like he’s snoring, that’s what she wants to fix DON’ T you dare be a whiner when you get your beagle pup, they will whine you to death, I hear that in here all the time, if your beagles not barking their whining, and listen to the whining they need something…lol usually when they need to potty or when they are potty broke, at least Dodger does that’s how he tells me he needs to go or. Wants to play or something. Dodger does love to whine for the sake of whining too, now that drives me nuts, he’s a pain then so I call him up to my chair or play with him if that doesn’t work know what I do? I go for a walk….lol The food issue and treats, I took his poor treats yesterday and crushed them into bite size bit’s and to my surprise he was okay with that😯, I am the one who has to learn, the vet was saying not Dodger…lol she said as wolves dogs don’t need to eat everyday, but she said that beagles are smart and they pull at our heart strings with those big eyes a cute look, and sad look, but we need stare them down…lol and say no to them….lol she’s to funny she loves Dodger, but she feels for me and his cuteness, I do have to call and find out when he needs to go back, but last year we got up at 3 am and walked 3 miles and but we didn’t do that this past winter. I think that’s how we both gained the weight, so now that spring is coming, up we will be getting, back to it . Okay I have chatted enough thanks

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Beagles tend to have grass allergies since their noses are always in the grass and bushes. I hear yea Cassie, reverse sneeze yesterday..it really sounds terrible. I wash her blankets and bed covering a couple times a week and dont use perfumed laundry soaps.
As for treats i buy Milkbone soft and chewy. They're soft so its eady to break them.. i give a 1/3.. she's satisfied with that.. its not the amount of treat its that she gets something...lol
I also have the vet give her a CYTOPOINT inject q 6months for the allergy..
Funny you should just mention allergies Dodger just got some Benadryl…lol he’s been sneezing, he has a pollen allergy, I heard when I got Dodger that beagles were susceptible to allergies because they’re hunting dogs and their noses are so sensitive to a lot of different allergens. Yeah guy don’t let your beagle eat to much of this grass coming up right know it’s called sweet grass, like horse it’s hard on a dog’s belly it will cause them to get bloated and very sick if they eat to much, they love it though, only reason I know about it is from when my mom raised her spaniels hunting dogs also, they would dig for the stuff in the spring and just like a horse only they get colic, her dogs would get sick with to much sweet grass or first spring grass, cats love it too, not like the grass they eat when they’re sick in the summer, no I guess this tastes much different so keep your pups away from eating to much of it or you might be cleaning it up…lol. anyways The vet called all his test can back just fine including his thyroid, only issue is his weight, he’s FAT….lol so I do what you do Cassie, I buy the big milk bones and break them but, Dr. Bell says to even break them down into bits, like training bites, so I take and crush them up each morning and that’s all he gets, we play find in the weeds, I toss the bits or pieces and he loves to hunt for them kills time for him, so this afternoon, I CAN do this vet says, I am cutting up some apple and cheese and we’ll do the same, play hunt and find , a game he just loves. I think he’s like a child with this game, when your hiding a toy only it’s food treats…. and yes only one cup one food, but I was wondering how can I get him to drink his water I have tried I cubes, he just plays with them, yeah he eats them, but he pants soooo much it worries me , got any ideas? Beagles are known to get heat exhaustion easy, and Dodger hates Summer he’s a winter dog all the way even though they say beagles love summer I don’t know if they ever me Dodger, but he hates heat over 45, so getting him to drink, and he loves to hike, but I worry something Fierce and now that summer’s coming and he’s over weight doesn’t he need more water?
last question I have isn’t there a shot the vet could give dogs to prevent Leptospirosis from drinking dirty water, Dodger drinks it all the time when we are out hiking or walking in rain? Pond/ lake water too..

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Yes he does if I were, to let him he’d still be scratching with those back paws of his, even in the winter.. I do believe he has dry skin too no matter what kind of shampoo I get him, he’s aways been the kinda dog that likes to have his ears rubbed. Thanks for the name of those drugs Vax and Cytopoint I am going to ask the vet about both I just got his flea, tick and deworming meds for the next 6 months and that was a 100, but it’s 6 months better than taking him in, got him on a monthly reminder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.