Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

here is my 1 1/2 yr old beagle Toby. I got toby when he was 6month old from pet land. his previous owner decided not to keep him and returned him to the store. I got him for my gf at the time and she had him for a month until her living arrangement changed. We planned on taking him back but i decided to keep him at my house until we found a better home for him and he's be with me for a year now and he staying :). I had him neuterd at about 9 months. i came to this site because i was tryin to find ways for him to lose a few pounds. my dad likes to give him too many treats and "special" dinners. Toby i'm told is sort of a rare beagle because hes not a barker..i'm told most beagles bark their heads off. He only barks if hes really excited during playtime, he's agitated or there is critter outside the fence. He loves to be laying on or right up against someone, he's quite the cuddle buddy. He is crated for about 6 hours during the day and at night when he sleeps. He occasionally likes to whine a bit when he goes to bed or someone leaves the house but not very much. Hes quite the annoyance at dinner time so we are working on that. Hes very good during bath time until it comes time to dry him off. I've learned that after he's dry he needs about an hour in his crate or he goes nuts. Sometime during play he tend to mouth but he never bites down, often he goes to mouth and will play it off by yawning. he can also be quite deceptive but its pretty fun.. Overall i dont think i could have asked for a better first dog of my own.

·
Registered
890 Posts
:welcome:

Glad you found us. I don't have any advice for you, but there are lots of others that should be able to chime in. There are a lot of beagles that don't bark a lot. My Tucker doesn't, but the girls tend to bark.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
:welcome: Toby is quite handsome!

The bathtime "zoomies" are very common, there is something about a bath that sends these guys into overdrive! I know many people have shared the same experience on here.
Personally, I think its hilarious and let them run around, it usually doesn't last long and it burns off some of that energy :winko:
We have 3 and they do bark but never without due cause. The pesky squirrels outside set them off, someone coming down the driveway or approaching the door, or when they are playing with each other running around.

Enjoy the forums and if you need help with anything let us know!

·
Registered
215 Posts
:welcome:Hi there, Toby sounds a wonderful friend.
Our Beagle Penny doesn't bark much either, only when playing or frustrated that our Corgi has her toy. But, boy when she does bark it is loud!!

Sounds like your Dad has a "soft spot" for Toby too! I don't have any advice to offer, as I am a relatively new Beagle Mother. I am sure other members will have excellent tips for you.

·
Registered
220 Posts
sounds like toby is a good dog. beagles do like to eat! try to cut back a little on treats and give him lots of exercise. you should be able to work a couple pounds off him pretty quick if you keep him moving.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Does Toby have his driver's license yet? He is quite the cutie. So glad you kept him.....he sounds like quite the lover.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi and Welcome. Love the name Mr. Toby McBeagle. My Scout does bark much only when the cats are teasing him. Check out the Health and Welfare site, I have found some goods things on there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I switch his name up quite often.. obviously his name is Toby but it can be Dr. toby, sir toby, president Mcbeagle, mr beaglesworth,etc. he just loves the attention no matter what i call him... toby is a an excellent driver.. ;) no he's really good in the car. Cars are one of my hobbies so he gets to cruise with me quite often in the summer. he'll get an upset stomach on occasion but its not a common thing,,its more too much excitement than anything. My dad definetly has a soft spot for toby and he was the last person that i thought would. my dad had dogs when he was little but that was in the 60's. he talks to him all the time. i know its gonna be tough when i'm done with school and move out, my dad may block the door. My mom isnt a pet person but has taken to him very well. Hes right at home now as one of the family.

·
Registered
889 Posts
LOL Welcome! We're currently trying to get our two to lose weight. We've done several things.

1. Bought a reduced calorie food (Innova Evo Weight Management)

2. Started using little slices of carrots in place of treats. A lot of store bought treats are pretty high in calories, so using carrots or green beans are a good substitute and generally the dogs love them.

3. Exercise, exercise, exercise. LOL We used to walk our dogs every night, but started slacking off. Now we're getting back into it.

I think it's kind of like when people try to lose weight. Cut back on calories, increase exercise. :) Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts