Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning,
I have a question regarding the introduction of a new dog into the household. I will start off by saying my beagle Fred is very good with dogs that he sees on his walks or dogs that visit the house with our friends.

He is always well behaved with other dogs, I have yet to see any aggression towards any other dogs. Actually quite the opposite. He is always wagging his tail and lets the other dogs sniff and get used to him.

We are looking a golden lab that is about 10 months old. We have gone to the shelter a few times and have introduced them there. Fred seems to want to meet her and wags his tail and is submissive to her sniffing him. The lab is seems likes him and wants to play.

My question is what is the best way to introduce them if I do decide to take her home (or if not her another dog for that matter). Has anyone had any experiences with this. I do not want to bring her into the house and find out that they do not play well together sort to speak.

Sorry about the length of this post, any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Eric

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Try taking them for a walk together. On the day you bring her home, let them meet on the street and then take them into the garden (back-yard). If all is still well, then take them into the house. Keep an eye on them. Feed them in different rooms. Give Fred his first, he is still top dog.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Start on newtral ground like a dog park or even a friends
fenced yard. Beags tend to welcome any dog as a playmate
or packmember...But, sometimes they do not do well with
strangers like Rufus & Nibbler! Rufus howled every night
after Duke died, but he was not ready for Nibbler! Nibbs
had to spend a few days & nights with me & Goober as we
taught him how to play with other dogs! Nibbler was an
abused 1 yr old beag when he was rescued w/o any socil-
zation skills! Goober had to kick his butt a few times
but Nibbler learned from the master about the elder beag
higharchy! Ever since, he has been very protective of Rufus!Btw, Both of them have welcomed Jethro to the pack
but Nibbler thinking that Jethro is a threat to Rufus will try to chase him down without success as my puppy can
zig & zag faster than him & shoulder bump him to egg him
on!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I completely agree with the other posts - the key is to have them meet and hang out a bit on neutral territory and then just walk them home and into the house together like it is no big deal... which it then isn't!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Let them meet on neutral territory as others already said. When we took Levi in, Charlie was almost 2 years with us and only dog.
Charlie was really mad at us and stayed a few days only in the kitchen to let us know he didn't agree. After a few days he knew Levi wasn't going away anymore and he decided to accept him.
Now we can't separate them anymore.

Good luck with the new dog!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts