Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boyfriend, a few of our friends from his work, the dogs, and I went camping up at Eisenhower State Park at the Texas/Oklahoma state line. We had a pretty good time, the chilliness notwithstanding.

After a summer that exposed us to customary Texas heat both inside and out due to our broken AC, I never thought I could feel cold again. Wrong!
The daytime temperatures were up in the 70s, but it was down to the 40s overnight. As long as you had something to do to make you move around, it wasn't so bad. If we'd had better camping gear and been used to doing this more than once a year, we might not have felt the cold so much. Still, we had a really good time.

There was a big overnight camping trip of Girl Scouts this weekend at the park, unknown to us beforehand, so there were kids everywhere to make the puppies excited, and everywhere I went with Spock and Bones on a walk, I was met with a chorus of children saying Awww!
I'm sure the puppies would have been happy to be let loose to play with any of them.

Spock was very good, though he tended to get whiny when Bones started crying out for attention (for instance, when everyone was eating and they wanted some chicken or maybe a burger, c'mon mommy!).

Bones was not very good. She chewed through a rope used to tie her to a tree (we brought one plastic-coated steel cable tether and thought it was long enough; it was not, so we were improvising) and almost chewed through the coupler that we use to walk them. Though naughty, she was anxious and happy about the many people paying attention to her until the sun went down and it got cold. The dogs fell asleep in our laps as we sat around a warm campfire listening to spooky poetry and telling stories. Just before bed, I tried to get the dogs to potty (fail), then we all got in our tents. And what did Bones do almost as soon as we were all tucked into our sleeping bags? Yes, she peed on them. (Good thing they are waterproof.) Then she escaped the tent untethered when I got up to get paper towels.
She didn't go very far, and we got everything cleaned up as well as possible, but my boyfriend and I were a little unhappy with her. She made up for it by crawling under the covers and acting as our little foot heater all night.

Poor Spock slept on the sleeping bag and was shivering slightly when he woke me up around daylight. I pulled him under the covers and snuggled with him for a little while to warm him up before they wanted to get up, go potty, and get breakfast.

I've attached a few pictures I took with my cell phone. We left the real camera at home for fear that at the end of the weekend, there'd just be 400 pictures of the dogs doing things and maybe 6 or 7 of the lake.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think Chloe would love sniffing the ground and running up hills and playing with rocks and sticks as much as Spock and Bones did!

I forgot to attach my favorite picture, of Bones and my boyfriend in the golden sunset.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Those are such cute pictures! I'll bet it was beagle heaven, even if was a little chilly at night.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts