Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...you guys know how Neb's been lethargic lately? We thought it was his thyroid, took him to the vet last Wednesday. He's lost weight and was basically normal thyroid in February so not that.

Depression over Luc dying, late-onset, not ruled out.

But - they noticed (I don't know why they didn't pick up on this in February) that in February both his blood glucose tests were severely low. That's uncommon. Generally both are fine or one is low but not both. They did tests while we were there and he wasn't as low but low. So they are concerned he has an insulinoma spiking his insulin and causing him to become hypoglycemic.

They're almost always malignant in dogs (unlike humans) and treated through surgery. However, in 50% of cases, the cancer has already spread. And the surgery causes other issues too, and generally increases life expectancy by an average of 4 mos.

So we will not do surgery. We are testing his insulin, and depending on the results, will gradually run other tests (we're kinda broke due to spending over $20k on vet bills recently) including an ultrasound. Just to rule out other possible issues. One is Cushings, but he doesn't really have any symptoms of that.

He drinks and pees more - signs of insulinoma - and has tremors - another sign - is lethargic etc. We're feeding him 3x/day now to try to keep his blood sugar even.

Poor guy. He's slow now walking I swear infirm 15.5 year old Luc walked about the same speed at the end.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Oh my gosh, so sorry to hear. I think not doing anything drastic like surgery is a good decision. Not even taking the cost involved into consideration, the recovery alone is not guaranteed, given his age.
My family just went through this with my 96yr old father-in-law and it hassened his passing just two weeks ago. Thankfully my husband and I werent decision makers in that situation.
Make Neb comfortable and treat medically with rx and food.
Sending hugs...

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Double post!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HE'S OKAY!!!!!!!

His insulin is normal! YAY!!!!!!

Since his blood sugar has been normal, since the low test, and he's had periods of hypoglycemia before, that's probably a red herring. Us - and the vets - are wondering if it's not just grief over losing Luc as he's realized he's not coming back and everything is different. Neb had lived with Luc for over 10.5 years from when he was six weeks old. It's a huge shock to him. And age related stuff too.

...and typical, he had NORMAL energy on his walk last night, and I took him for a longer walk after work today and he was fine, his regular self...suuuuure, once we know it's not cancer, you start acting normal again!

But we're SO happy! Best news!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Isn't it good news though! I needed hugs hahaha but we are seriously so happy and so relieved. He's snoozing next to me on the couch now ❤

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #14