Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I've noticed over the past 2 days that when I take Oreo out for his evening walk (usually around 6:30ish), he starts to pant after roughly 20 yards. A lap around my block is about 1/2 mile and it's hilly but I don't get why he starts to pant right off the bat. It hasn't been too warm in the evenings and he has access to water while I'm gone for the day though maybe he's not drinking?

The other day after his evening walk, after being inside for about 1/2 hour, he sat up and started to pant a little. I led him to his water bowl, tapped on it twice and he drank a little. I tapped on it again and he drank some more (wasn't forcing his head or anything like that). Then we went back to the couch and his panting had stopped. He has no problem drinking water when I give him his food. I'm a bit confused.

·
Registered
400 Posts
It's been quite hot the last week here in Northern California and Java has been panting even at 10pm. Do dogs pant for reasons other than being hot?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in the Pittsburgh area. It's been in the low 80's, breezy and sunny with low humidity the past couple days. Maybe the sun warms him up quickly?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I do think dogs can pant for reasons other than being hot (pain and heart problems are two that I know of) - but I really think even the low 80's would be enough for a fur coat to be a bit too warm for a comfortable walk so I suspect that Oreo's panting is heat related! Our 11 year old Booker has always panted a lot more than our two younger beagles. It doesn't even get that hot here in Vancouver, but a couple of minutes out of the air conditioning and Booker sounds like a pug... she is panting so hard! But then again even the vet recently called Booker a drama queen!

·
Registered
786 Posts
I've noticed my girls pant also when they are a little stressed. My boy **** always pants, but we know he's a nervous guy. So it could be Oreo is getting away from his comfort zone and gets nervous.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The Bagel hardly ever pants - if he finds it too warm, he seeks shade. If he does pants, my first thought is that he is in pain or he is anxious about something. BTW: He thrives and doesn't pant when it is well over 100 degrees Fahrenheit here in Las Vegas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts