Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you use the red meat small bite version, the regular small bite, or something different? Looking online I see those different versions.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Snickers in on a special diet for his liver.

However, Connor gets the Innova EVO Large Bites.

When we first switched him to Innova EVO... we bought a real little bag of the small bites...
WAAAAYYY to small for a beagle that scarfs his food and barely chews to begin with. The kibble was sooo tiny.

When we bought the next bag we went to the Large bites.

Connor LOVES it.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I finally found a pet boutique around here that carries it. They also had Wellness, Solid Gold, regular Innova, Innova Evo, Canidae, and a few other brands. All top quality foods from what I could tell. I talked with them a bit about Daisy's tummy/poop issues and they gave me some samples of Innova EVO in the yellow bag which appears to be the poultry blend. I mixed one of the samples with her old food and she is spitting out the old food and only eating the Innova
So I hope it doesn't mess her stomach up too bad. I can't force her to eat the old stuff although I won't fill her bowl with new stuff until the old is gone.

The vet was wondering if maybe grains are the culprit because she has always had poops on the very soft/runny side anyway. It just got much worse on this last food. So maybe the EVO will solve the problem all together once I get her weaned on to it.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
How about when you mix the two brands, add alittle warm water to make it softer. That way she won't be able or at least will have a harder time to spit out the old one...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just switched Toby to red small bite evo and he seemed to like it in the beginning. then he becomes a picky eater like he has been with his other food(purina & Iams). whats weird is when he starts to eat, hell eat enough to fill him up. the initial eating part is the problem. not sure what the deal is and i try to stay on schedule with his feeding. ill try poultry next to see if he likes that better. i guess its cheaper for me to feed him since he sometimes eat 1 whole cup and sometimes less.

·
Registered
400 Posts
hmm...sounds like Toby just isn't hungry? Will he go a full day without eating?

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I picked the poultry one for Daisy and she is the same. She will eat enough to fill her up. So I will just leave the rest and when she finishes it then I put in her other cup. I never fill her bowl more than 2 times per day. Sometimes she will eat her 2 cups, but most of the time she eats about a cup a day.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Originally Posted By: Java the Beagle hmm...sounds like Toby just isn't hungry? Will he go a full day without eating?
no haven't gone a full day without eating and when he doesn't eat, i usually make him start eating by putting something in the food.. crushed chips, or treat. haha im gonna try a little warm water next. sounds like some people have good results from doing that. oh btw, i feed him twice a day and 1 cup per serving.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Is Innova EVO an adult dog food? Should I just stick to Innova Puppy Chow or can I switch a 4mo. pup to EVO? Hailey's starting to become a picky eater =(

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
EVO doesn't come in a puppy formula. Four months is still too young to switch to an adult formula (in my opinion at least). I'd wait until Hailey is at least 10 months to switch.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
I agree with Eleanor. Four months is definitely too young to make the switch to adult dog food. My vet recommends making the switch between 10-12 months, and with Maggie being a picky eater, and a rather small/petite beagle, I'll probably keep her on her Innova Puppy Formula until she's a year old.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Originally Posted By: Li'l MaggieI agree with Eleanor. Four months is definitely too young to make the switch to adult dog food. My vet recommends making the switch between 10-12 months, and with Maggie being a picky eater, and a rather small/petite beagle, I'll probably keep her on her Innova Puppy Formula until she's a year old.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Sorry Jen...I thought it was Eleanor I was agreeing with! Long day at work... LOL</span>

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: Li'l Maggie
Originally Posted By: Li'l MaggieI agree with Eleanor. Four months is definitely too young to make the switch to adult dog food. My vet recommends making the switch between 10-12 months, and with Maggie being a picky eater, and a rather small/petite beagle, I'll probably keep her on her Innova Puppy Formula until she's a year old.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Sorry Jen...I thought it was Eleanor I was agreeing with! Long day at work... LOL</span>

Yes, but I agree with both you and Jen, that 4 months is young! I'm also putting Chloe back on Innova (the green bag), as EVO is just too much for her. It's a great food though.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: Li'l Maggie
LOL! No problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I looked at the bag and it has feeding instructions for pups. Im feeding him 2 cups a day. I started putting a little warm water with the food and he loves it! Looks like his rash on his bottom right leg went away but seems like hes itching at other spots now..

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I buy the Adult small bites for small dogs. The green package, with chicken. Charlie likes adding more stuff in it, like left over human food, chicken bits, some times fish, chicken broth. If I do not have any left over or food might be too spicy or salty. I mix kibbles with a spoonful of wet can food. Yes, he is spoiled, he does not eat plain kibbles. Ah funny, he does not like cooked carrots.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Originally Posted By: LilHaileyIs Innova EVO an adult dog food? Should I just stick to Innova Puppy Chow or can I switch a 4mo. pup to EVO? Hailey's starting to become a picky eater =(
Evo is forumlated for all life stages, which literally is all life stages, including puppy. Many people feed EVO to their pups and they do well on it. The question is whther or not EVO is good for a Beagle, or for your dog in particular.

There is no one food best for all. And, it is always a good idea to have a rotation a couple times a year as well, so you want a couple foods the dogs like and do well on.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.