Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone's beag suffer from infections in the folds of skin around the jowls? Our Basil does bless him. At its worst he required antibiotics and we now have to bath his jowls at least twice a week (which he hates) with a shampoo called Maliseb.

Does anyone have any more ideas about how we can keep the problem at bay? The vet says it is because he has a lot of folds in his jowls.

Lisa

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I know that owners of breeds like the Shar-Pei and Bulldog that have very wrinkly skin or many folds use vaseline in the folds to act as a barrier from bacteria that causes infections.

PS: I just remembered that Lilly used to get sore skin in the folds in her armpits sometimes. I tried so many different things for weeks then found an antibacterial powder made by Vetzyme. Within 3 days the soreness had gone and never came back.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
With vet prescribing Malaseb, I expect infections are from overgrowth of yeast which loves moist locations. I used to use a diaper rash cream on Maggie's behind when it was irritated -- the one I used was Dr. Smith's Diaper Rash Cream but I think it has been discontinued and not sure it would have been available by you. I would think most diaper rash creams are about the same -- when rubbed in, it provides a barrier to moisture which is what you are looking for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts