Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm 16 years old, turning 17 in less then 2 months and I always wanted a dog. After trying to convince my mom for almost a year, I finally got annoying enough for her to go see some dogs with me. I saw some tricolors beagles and wow these dogs are soo cute with their big ears /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif .Anyway, here's my question, I've read alot on beagles but can't find if there's different type of purebred beagle. I know there's 13inch and 15inch, but when I see pictures there's some that have more fur then others and some have taller legs.. is there different type ? And how can I see which is which when I go see puppys ?
I already thought about a name :wave:

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
Welcome to BW and to the great world of Beagles. First, I would like to command you for inquiring about the breed of your choice before racing and purchasing the first cute little pup on your path.
Yes, there are difference between Beagles. Firstly, as you have mentioned, you have the 13" which is a dog measuring between 11" and 13" at the shoulder (meaning, from the ground to the top of his shoulder), and the 15" which is above 13" up to and including 15"
Then you have the "Show" beagle and the "working Beagle. The "Show" Beagle is a Beagle which has been bred, through the excercise of selection by his breeder, for the sole purpose of show. Along the years, people have develop a list of certain caracteristic which each dog belonging to a same breed should display. These caracteristics includes, hight, weight, colour and type of coat, angulation of the legs, neck, shape of the skull, the teeth... and also certain temperament traits such as "always on the move" or loyal, or aloof.... This list of traits are called the Breed standard. A Show dog is a dog who has been bred keeping in mind the standard, and in a dog show, the dog who is the closest to his breed standard, that is the most representative of his breed wins. Now purchasing a pup from a show line does not mean that the dog is of show quality. It only mean that he was bred for the sole purpose of show. There are no purfect dog, which means that no dog possess exactly all of the traits described in the breed standard. What makes a show dog is the balance of the faults. Certain defects are more faulted than others, and those who are more likely to prohibit the dog from being able to do the job he was originally bred for is generally more faulted. For exemple, an ear a little short in a Beagle is not as faulted as a Beagle with angulations too straight, which would stop him from moving fast and properly while hunting, even though the dog will never hunt.
The working Beagle is a dog who has been bred for the sole purpose of his work. That is, although his breeder will ensure to breed a Beagle with a Beagle, he will be looking at the performance of the dog rather than his look. And just as the breeder of a Show Beagle tries to breed a female with known and recognised qualities according to the breed standard, to a male who can either complement that female, the breeder of the Working Beagle will be searching for a great hunter, good strategist, fast runner, and with a clear voice, to use with his female the breeder believe to possess great working ability, thus getting good working pups. The result in these working lines are often that a Beagle will be over size, or with longer legs, or too fine of a skull, or all of the above. In the world of dogs, the discussion of the show dog vs. the working dog is endless and sometimes quite animated.
Now how do you know what your puppy will be like? The first thing is to TRUST the breeder. Go visit several and talk to them. Ask them what are the qualities and the faults of their line. Make sure the parents have been screened for genetic health defects, and ask to see the grand parents if you can. Pups usually look like their grand parents and not like their parents. Certainly, insist on seeing the Mom. The state and temperament of the Mom can tell you a lot on the way the pups were kept and the temperament a pup will have. It is often easier to get information from a breeder of show dogs than it is from one of working dogs, but that does not mean that you cannot get a good working pup. I always fine that the way the dogs relate to the breeder is very representative of the way he looks after them. A pup born and brought up inside the breeders home is usually a better pup than one raised in kennels as he will be more people oriented. Finaly, make sure to get a health guaranty, no less than one year, covering all hereditary deseases, and try NOT to bring puppy home before he is 12 weeks, 10 at the very minimum.
Well, it seems like as always, I went on and on and I could probably continue for hours... I hope I have answered your questions at least in part. Should you require any specific information, please do not hesitate to ask. There are always people hear with the knowledge you seek. And please, do come and visit from times to times. We would love to hear all about the beagle you will be getting, and to see pictures too. We just love pictures...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to the BW pack!

Cheerio explained beagle differences well. With puppies, you need to trust the breeder.

There is a second option that many of us have taken... A RESCUE. These are beagles that are in shelters or rescues that need permanent homes. There are puppies out there, but many are older. Many are already house broken and have some training. Some do not. Sadly, many come with some "baggage" from either being abandoned or abused. But don't let this stop you. There is nothing like taking a rescue beagle that is afraid and shy, and with love, care, and attention, watch them come out of their shell adn show their real personality.

Our Summer was less than a year old, very shy, timid and quiet. In a few months, she shed all that and is playful, happy, and lets you know when she wants something. Murphy was happy from the start. When the time comes, I will most likely go with a rescue again.

Take a look at http://www.petfinder.com

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Have you thought about adopting one rather than purchasing a puppy? I actually have a friend right now trying to rehome her beagle. Please PM me if you would like more information.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I live in Montreal, Quebec so I can't go to ontario ( Parents will not want to go this far ) and they would like to have a puppy because they and I prefer to do the education, with old dog you can't really know how they were. That's why we're looking to buy a 2½-3 month old beagle

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Welcome to BW. We have two rescues, it is very rewarding to watch them change from frightened dogs to loving pets. Will someone be home most of the day, if you get a young pup? Good luck whatever you decided and please keep us informed.

·
Registered
555 Posts
1st off your english is very good. If you had not said anything I would not have known.
I too have a rescue & would recommend it, but since you want a pup keep in mind their colors will change. So don’t make the look of a puppy be the determining factor. Always go with the personality that goes with you & your family.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts