Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Menolly is 9 mos old now and still not spayed (dad's been cut to part-time and I haven't worked for almost two months) for a few days she has... well, her hind end is a little...erm....larger than normal...and I don't mean her butt.
She's also been sleeping more, and this morning she started cleaning herself like there was no tomorrow. Everything else is normal- her mood, her bathroom habits, her appetite. It doesn't look red or infected, just swollen. I haven't seen any kind of dischagre, but then she's been cleaning herself so much it's really hard to tell.

If she is in heat, what can I do to make her- and us- more comfortable? We have a wooden stockade fence, so I'm not worried about 'oops' puppies. The two chows on one side always growl at her anyway, and the chihuahua on the other is just too short to reach any knotholes. There is a beautiful shepherd/collie cross behind us that like Mneolly a lot, but I got a really good look at him and he's fixed.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
She'll be okay and yes she sounds like she is in heat. Timing is right also. Beagles usually go into heat at about 9 months the first time. The first few days you may not even see a discharge and if you have any other dogs you may never see one as they will keep her clean too. The days you may have more trouble will be about the 10th day into her cycle. That is when she becomes receptive to other dogs. Keep her inside more for about 4-5 days during that time to keep other dogs away from her. (or you can go outside with her if you are concerned enough) You would not believe what a male dog can do until you have a female in heat. (climb fences, reach knotholes, dig, whatever) After the 10-14th days (these are approximate as like humans all dogs are different) have ended she will no longer be receptive and should be fine. She will continue to bleed for a total of about 3 weeks however so don't worry. If she is allowed on furniture and you want to keep the mess down there are panties for dogs in heat that you can buy for her to help with that. They don't work in my house because we have multiple dogs and they just rip them off the females. lol Good luck to you. I hope things get better in the way of your finances soon. It doesn't really hurt anything to have them spayed after a heat cycle either. Hope this info is helpful.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yep she's in heat and beagletails is right, she will become receptive to the other male dogs around you so be careful.If buying the doggie panties don't work for you I just use an old sheet on the furniture at night time(they sleep on the couches) and throw it in the washer in the a.m. Sometimes I find a few tiny drops on my carpet and I use Folex and it comes right out. They do become really swollen during heat so don't worry, it's normal
My girl is 5 and has not been fixed. It has never been a big hassle and my husband has beagle proofed the yard so there is never a worry she will come in contact with any males except our own who is fixed.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice.
Dog panties are a bit too steep for us, so she has been re-banished from the furniture unless she's on someone's lap...who doesn't mind. I threw an old towel over my bed last night and like a little sweetheart she stayed right there all night.
The poor thing looks so embarrassed!
She hasn't left any spots yet, I suspect because she's gotten so fastidious now.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
We have always just used old blankets and towels also. Thankfully neither of my girls are heavy bleeders.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Josies first heat before spay we didn't notice any spots until we came back from a weekend trip to my parents. At the time she was sleeping in my GFs lap on the ride home. Noticed some blood, JUST a little on her shirt. Josie was still on the furniture, she just got her own blanket on the wedge part of the sectional. And she was great about staying on the blanket.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts