Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wondering how this works and if anyone has had an experience like this and what you did.

You and your family are out on a day of errands, your pups are at home. Everything seems fine. Then there is a car accident, and everyone in the family is taken to the hospital by ambulance with various degrees of serious injuries; no one is going home that day. Now your pups are still home, needing to be taken care of....if no one can be contacted, and no one knows, how do the dogs get cared for?
I know that there have been situations where people have had strokes, heart attacks and no one knows that there is an animal at home, alone needing help, also. So the pet is left unattended and if no family arrives in due time...what does the pet do. Does the sheriff or PD check on those things? Do neighbors finally hear and check on the dog or cat?

What we have done here as a Dog Fancier's group is to make available wallet size cards that are filled in by the owner and laminated then kept in your purse or wallet, or runner's pack. It says that there is a pet at home, if something should happen to you, please contact this person to care for my pet. It gives a contact person's name, number, relationship, etc. If that person can't be contacted, please call my vet at, and they will help board the pet. We have been giving them to people at fairs, contests, malls, stores, etc to use and it's been a real
heart saver, for many pet owners.

Just a thought, you could make up your own and put it in a safe place. We are now thinking of making one for the car also, that tells the Hwy PD that there is a pet in the car should there be an accident and they are unable to locate the dog immediately.

Any other situations or ideas on how to make sure that our pets are taken care of should something happen to us?

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
That is actually a good idea. It deserves very much consideration by all pet owners for the safety of their loved ones at home who can not help them selves.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Good thought Cathy. While we are on the topic how many of us have made arrangements for our pets in the event of our death. I know it seems odd to bring it up but our rescue has once again taken in a senior beagle that was left at an animal shelter after its owner passed away. Don't leave your pets future to chance and assume family will provide a home. Even though I have lots of family, I have an arrangement with a friend that we will be responsible for seeing that each others pets are cared for whether that means keeping them or finding them a great home. If my family takes them as I think they would thats great but if not I have a back up plan. I sure don't want any of them dumped in a shelter.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Thank you for this suggestion. As soon as I read it, I called a couple of friends, printed some cards, and will laminate them and put them in my purse and car. Excellent idea!

·
Registered
147 Posts
It would probably be helpful to also have a list somewhere of the dog's feeding schedule - times, how much, and other information that would be important to whoever is caring for the dog.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Thats a very good idea. I shall make some cards for us and the car. If we die Susi and Snoopy go back to the rescue centre, who promise to find them a good home together. They made us sign this. However, I pray that one of us lives long enough to care for the beagles.These are certainly our last dogs as we are in our sixties, and hope Susi and Snoopy have at least 5 years left.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I always kept a card in my wallet and the car re Maggie. The card included an emergency contact name and phone number but didn't include the vet's info which is a really good idea. My cards were issued by ASPCA after making a donation. I also had the notices in several windows/glass doors notifying emergency services that there was a dog inside -- we've talked about that here before. I had gotten mine from Drs. Foster & Smith for only a couple of dollars. If you have a will, you can include arrangements for your pets as well as monies to take care of them, if possible. I always thought the latter was important as I wanted to make sure that the person selected to take care of Maggie would be able to cover her medical expenses the same way I would.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I'm at work so will spend more time on it when I get home - this kind of situation has run through my mind several times - just got back from a quik trip to Colorado.

What I have been doing - I have all the info - names, registtration #'s breeder, vet info, training info and any other pertinent that I could think of - stored in computer then printed out and keep that in my purse.

But like I said, will come back to this thread this evening - very good topic.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I never thought of this. I'll have to make up some cards for both hubby and I. I don't know who take the dogs, Emma doesn't like anyone but us and the daycare workers and everyone I know thinks Caesar is a crazy handfull!

·
Registered
889 Posts
I've thought about this quite a bit but never thought of cards. We have a sticker on our front door that says there are two dogs in the house in case of an emergency.

Thanks for the great ideas!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts