Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have rats and mice in our back yard. We just had the pest control technician come out and he gave us some good sturdy rat snap traps and he put out some sticky traps. The snap traps, I will only set those at night when the doggies are inside sleeping and trip them and pick them back up the next morning. The sticky ones are not where our doggies run.

The tech also brought a rat bait trap. It has poison in it. The rat/mouse goes inside and eats the poison, goes back out to wherever they go and dies. My question is if our doggies were to happy to get a hold of a poisoned rat, would it hurt the doggies? The trap says Aegis Rodent Bait Station, contains Rodenticide. The bait/poison looks like ridged cut up Greenies.

I don't plan to put it out in the yard until I find out that it is safe.

Thanks all!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I called our vets office and they suggested I call Poison Control. Poison Control said that if they got a hold of a dead rat that had ingested the poison, it should be ok. But if they were to catch a rat still alive that had ingested it, it could still be in the rat's stomach. Now I don't know if Beagles eat rats or what??? But I don't think I'll be putting this bait station out at all. I would be too worried.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
The wife and I tend to lean on the side of safety than leaving anything to chance. When we first moved here there were some fire ant mounds in the back yard, so I went and picked up some Amdro I believe. I put it out and wait for the ants to die and then I saw Rocky chowing down on it. Called the number on the box and they told me that the worst case scenario would be that he would get an upset stomach if he ate a ton of it. I think he only got a few granules or so, just wondered why they put the huge poison label on the box if it really wasn't all that dangerous.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update on the rat situation (do not read any further if you are faint at heart):

We set 5 rat snap traps last night all around the shed area. We used peanut butter as bait. This morning I checked the traps before letting Sadie and Pooh out. We got 2 rats! One small one and one big one. So, we now know for certain sure what has been driving Sadie and Pooh Bear crazy in the early mornings. They smelled the scent of rats running around the yard. We have a house in back of us that has been vacant forever and they have an old dilapadated shed. We think the rats are coming from over there.

We don't like killing any sort of animal. But we can't have rats running amock in our yard and having Sadie and Pooh Bear barking and going crazy every morning early.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: Mom of 2 BeaglesWe don't like killing any sort of animal. But we can't have rats running amock in our yard and having Sadie and Pooh Bear barking and going crazy every morning early.
not only that, but taking under consideration that rats can carry dangerous diseases, that can affect the dogs and you as well! Maybe you should call some sort of public pest control to take care of that shed.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chloe's Mom: I thought about calling the City of Destin and reporting that shed in the vacant lot in back of us. Of course I don't have any proof that the rats are coming from there.

We thought about putting this rat bait trap over in that vacant lot around that old shed. Then maybe the rats would go in and eat the poison and die over there. We don't know if we will do this or not. Still thinking.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
32,140 Posts
Makes sense, but since you are treating your own territory, you can always let the authorities that this is the only place that makes sense for the rats to come from, and that you are asking them to check.

Next thing you know, it becomes an epidemic, like it is in the NYC subway and other questionable areas in the city. The city here is doing a lot to destroy them but it's a long long process.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
667 Posts
Whatever you do, do not let them ingest the poison food. Rodenticide is like coumadin, it is a major blood thinner!! What it does is cause the rats to basically have major internal bleeding and that is how it kills them!!!


manda
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm sure you are all getting tired of hearing about rats. But, I just saw on the Internet they make Electronic Rat Zappers. The rat goes into this box, and he is zapped and dies instantly they say painlessly. Supposed to be very quick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
I'd err on the side of caution as you seem to be doing, but I have to say that when Beaglina caught (and v. quickly killed) a rat in my garden she showed no interest in eating it. Also, on the poison side, just in case, you could check with your vet what the antidote is - it's probably vitamin k and you could just pick it up from a chemist.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I may call the pest control and have them come back out and pick up the rat bait station.

We checked out the electronic zap stations, and they are too expensive. We put 4 of the rat snap traps out around the shed last night. None of them were tripped this morning. I was actually relieved. And no barking from our doggies early this morning. We'll try again tonight. I'm sure there are more than just the 2 rats that we caught.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top