Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am SO MAD at my vet

Yesterday I took Sherry back to the vet because she has a bad eye. For 3 weeks she's had this bad eye and the owner of the surgery wasn't the least bit interested in her eye and said it was just a symptom of her failing heart condition. So with no medication given the eye gets progressively worse so I took her back yesterday and saw a different vet because the owner wasn't there. This different vet looks in her eye, says there's sommat wrong so goes and gets some dye that will stain any injury inside the eye. She put the dye in, turned off the lights then shone a special light in her eye and this huge mark appeared right in the middle. Apparently my poor darling Sherry has a corneal ulcer caused by any kind of trauma to the eye like walking into something and bashing it or scratching it. So for the last 3 weeks she's had this and been in pain with it and all because the other vet said there was nothing wrong

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Why do they not listen to what you are saying to them sometimes? I knew it wasn't right but would he listen??? Nooooooooo

So now we have Fucithalmic drops to put in for a week and see if this helps. If not she will need an operation

Thanks for listening to my rant.

·
Registered
127 Posts
So sorry to hear about your horrible Vet experience!

I had a bad experience with a Vet's office staff pertaining to one of my cats. Luckily, I was able to change Vets, but I live in a rural area and if something bad happens with this new Vet I'll be out of luck.

Hope everything works out with the eye drops...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Some vets get this Doctor's complex where they think they are GOD and know it all and refuse to listen to the owner because we are not them. I hope you give the other vet a piece of your mind and NEVER use him/her again. If you like the other one, use them. Otherwise, get a copy of Sherry's records and change hospitals. My vet has always told us, when in doubt, get a second opinion. She said she would never consider it an insult, because you are looking out for your baby's well being.

That being said, the eye is the fastest healing part of the body. Hopefully it heals with no scarring. Give Sherry rubs from us.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Poor Sherry. I completely agree with Joe on the vet.

Belly rubs to Sherry. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, I still feel so mad and need to calm down a bit before I phone the first vet to speak to him about it.

He's the one who told me to give her a pint of tea a day for the antioxidants and other healing properties it has. I'm still not sure about doing that and she doesn't like it anyway lol so getting her to drink a pint a day is impossible.

Originally Posted By: Joe BeaglesIf you like the other one, use them.
I do Joe she was very nice but sadly this hospital has a high turnover of staff and it's unlikely she will be there for long. The other hospital is <span style="font-style: italic">I'm told</span> worse than this one but I might give them a try for something minor in the future just to see what they are like.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Poor Sherry, all this time. Hopefully she will get better and not need surgery. Wishing all my best to Sherry.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jenn... Phone call? Hell no. That deserves a face to face! But that is just me.

As for the turn over issue. I told our vet early on... If you decide to leave here, let us know. If its within driving distance, we will go to your new place. Anyway, a high vet turn over rate in a busy animal hospital is not a good sign, unless its a teaching hospital like the Univ. of Penn. Vetr. Hospital in Philadelphia.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
That is horrible - poor Sherry and poor you for having to go through this. Hope the drops work and she starts feeling better soon.

·
Registered
133 Posts
That is terrible. I am on my 3rd vet since I got Shiloh. I don't expect them to spend all day explaining stuff, but don't act like my dog's welfare/health isn't important.

Hope Sherry (and you) feel better!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
So sorry to hear that. Hope she will be better on the drops. Joe has said all I would say.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hope Sherry feels better soon. I can only imagine how frustrating this is. Gunnar and Daisy send kisses!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your experience. We go to a very reputable vet clinic in our area but there is a vet on staff that I would NOT go to. He has no bedside manner. We have been using the same vet for 15+ years. She has been absolutely wonderful to us. I would not give up on the veterinary office or the second vet that you saw. If you feel comfortable and confident with her, over time you will develop a relationship with her and hopefully will get the same great service I get from mine. I hope Sherry feels better and that her eye heals without the need for surgery.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Sherry deserves the best - she is so sweet. Hope tomorrow brings an improvement.

I have gone to my Vet for many, many years and have been very happy. If he does not know the answer he tries to find it. And they know when I call and say I have a problem that it is the real deal and it is indeed a problem and they get me right in with in 2 to 3 hours max. That being said, I found out yesterday that his clinic is combining with another! I will give it a chance, but I think I will be searching for another Vet. Since the papers were not signed he could not tell me who the other Vet was, but if it is the clinic I think it is, I will be moving on. I went there once to see about a special they were running on dog baths and the place stunk to the high heavens. I understand his situation that he can not carry as many hours as a practice needs and he is getting older, but my troops are all rescues and I want the BEST for them for the rest of their lives. Boy, there I go again ranting and raving!! Sorry!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Poor Sherry. I'm so sorry that she's got to go through this. I hope the drops work quickly and she's feeling better soon. I would definitely talk to the original vet and let him know how displeased you are with his misdiagnosis. He shouldn't have just made assumptions and should have taken the time to be sure that nothing else was wrong. If you really liked this last vet you saw, get their info and follow them to their new place when they leave. And be sure to let your current vet know why you are leaving and taking your business elsewhere. I hope Sherry is feeling better soon. Give her some extra gentle Beagle love from me and Jersey.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts