Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
homer finally got fixed this past thursday and we picked him up friday.the instructions were to keep him inside(only outside to potty and right back in)keep him calm,no running,no jumping-basiclly treat him like he is on bedrest for 2 WEEKS!i am already going nuts and so is he!he does nothing but wander around the house whining.poor little guy doesn't understand why he can't go run,why we won't play outside with him(he doesn't want to play inside)why gram won't take him out for a few hours in the afternoon like she usually does and the worst of all to him-why hubby doesn't want him sitting out in the carport with him anymore
i feel so bad-he just sits by the screen door and whines and whimpers to go out and sit with hubby.it's driving me crazy listening to him but i understand.only 10 more days!!

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Poor Homer. Could you double check with your vet on those instructions? When Pooh Bear (male) was fixed he was back up and running in just a few days. Our vet didn't say he had to take it real easy for 2 weeks. He laid around for a few days, but was pretty much back to his normal little self in about 4 days. We didn't have any restrictions. Of course all vets are different.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Poor guy. Sometimes I wonder if vets actually know any animals. We had a long haired outdoor cat once that we took in to the vet because his fir was getting really matted and he was getting a lot of hair balls. The vet told us to keep the cat out of the bushes. Yeah, like we could really tell a cat what not to do.

·
Registered
837 Posts
When Daisy was desexed she also really struggled to keep settled and not over do it whilst she had her stitches in. So, instead of having her excert herself with physical exercise, we used mental stimulation to get her to tire herself out.

I taught her new tricks like hi-5, give ten, speak etc etc. This way, she still had something to tire her out but it was overly physical

ETA: I agree with others that keeping him quiet for two weeks is a bit over the top - they need to keep relatively quiet (i.e. not have loads of exercise) whilst their stitches are still in as this prevents scarring and helps them heal faster... stitches come out, from memory, within 7-10 days and by the time you get to day seven most of the healing is done.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Oh boy. Fin has to get his done next month. I'm pretty nervous about that. I can barley exercise him enough now. How can I keep him sane for that long with no running, or myself sane for that matter?

I had the same feeling about the vet my first few vists Niffer. I saw two different ones, at the same place, and they seemed so cold toward him when he was clearly scared to death. All I could think is how could they not fall in love with this little guy like everyone else in America. But last time we saw a third vet and he was great. He talked to Fin and pet him. I'll be requesting the 3rd vet from now on.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Wow, 2 whole weeks? That's way too much in my eyes. I would go crazy too!!!

Chloe was up and playing a few hours later. Of course, I was with her all the time and watched her, she didn't go to the park for the first 4 days, and then when I took her I didn't let her off the leash to run play, but she still has some activity!

I think that if you're with Homer, watching him, you can definitely let him play a little. Also, long walks will drain his energy

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I agree with the others to check with the vet on that time frame, it seems very excessive.

We picked up Violet 4 days afer she had been spayed and we did our best to keep her and Duke from getting too crazy with each other, but that was SO hard. After 8 days, she went to our vet who gave her full clearance to be as crazy and playful as she wanted and said that after a week, it's not an issue. That was with a spay, which is much more intrusive than a nueter. Call your vet for clarification.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
when i picked him up and heard 2 weeks i said are you sure?yup she said it's 2 weeks.he didn't get stitches but they used some kind of glue to close the incision so he won't have to go back and get stitches taken out and she said with the glue they are less likely to mess with it.he is healing fine and i will check on friday to see how good it looks-if it looks like it is all healed then i think he will be ok to go a few laps around the backyard-lord knows he needs it and so do we.....lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts