Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just last weekend my husband and I, and our two 8 year olds adopted an 8 year old Beagle, Snickers. Her former owner is leaving the country and couldnt take her, but they were very close, and she is having a difficult time adjusting to us. Any ideas would be helpful.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well, as with kids, one way to make a dog comfortable is to establish a routine and stick with it! Food is at such-and-such a time; walks or backyard pee breaks are at such-and-such a time, etc.

Also, as soon as possible, take Snickers to class -- obedience or even agility or rally. Look online for trainers or clubs in your area. Not only will you learn how to communicate your preferences for Snickers' behavior in a way both of you will understand, you'll have fun together -- which is a great basis for friendship! Also, as Snickers succeeds in class, her self-confidence will grow. I highly recommend as many family members as possible come to the obedience class -- consistency in commands is critical!

Good luck with your new girl! Adjustment to a new family will take time.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Welcome Bonnie and Snickers! I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice here, as quite a few members have adopted adult beagles. Thank you so much for adopting Snickers, and please post some pics of her when you can!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/help.gif and thank you for adopting Sneakers. Love love love and a routine will do the trick. It will take her some time to adjust, but she'll be fine.

Good luck, and waiting for some pictures /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to the BW pack!

First, Congrats on rescueing a senior beagle!

Possbibly contact the old owner and get an old article of clothing (unwashed) for Snickers to sleep with. It could make Snickers more comfortable. After a while, wash it, later discard it completely once Snickers has settled in.

Give Snickers love, understanding, and a routine. The rest, only time can fix.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Howdy - Welcome to Beagle World. Bless you for adopting Snickers. You've got good advice already. Obedience Class is just one way of bonding with Snickers but it is a very good way. When I rescued the Bagel he would wolf down his kibble so I feed him by hand a piece of kibble at a time. It took me about a week to teach him to take his time eating and I guess to convince himself that he would always have enough food BUT a side effect of that training was that we bonded very well and when we went to obedience class the following month the instructor was impressed on how the Bagel and I were a team understanding he was an 4/5 year old rescue I'd only had for a month. My Bagel sat in a kennel waiting on death row and I think he was mistreated before being abandoned so it might have been easier for him to adjust than Snickers who hasd always been loved but time, patience, love and routine will work.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
to BW! Kudos to you for taking in a senior pup -- you've already received some great advice. I think everyone in your family will find a way to relate to Snickers. If there weren't kids in her previous home, your kids might have to take it especially easy with Snickers for a while. I think she will probably experience some depression -- take your lead from her and be gentle. Looking forward to hearing how she does in the days ahead and we all love pics!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Hi Bonnie, I am glad you found your way here. (I have been involved in Bonnie's adoption of Snickers through our local rescue and I suggested she come to this group for support/advice.) When you have time go to the discussion section and ask your questions regarding activity level etc of an 8 year old beagle. Lots of people here have experience with beagles at 8 and above. Hope things are still going well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the support and advice! I will definately try sticking to a schedule and will try an obedience class soon. I look forward to getting lots of ideas and tips from many of you who have a lot more experience with Beagles!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/help.gif Thank you so much for adopting a senior beagle. You've already received excellent advise. Patience and love will make Snickers accept her new home.

·
Registered
865 Posts
You are a beagle angel!! The above posters have given you some great advice! I second the ideas of doing something together, like classes, to help you bond. It will take time for Snickers to become comfortable. Remind yourself, often, that Snickers doesn't understand what happened. Just give her lots of love and patience and she will become a wonderful part of your family!

Toby is 7 and I know that if I had to give him up, it would take him quite some time to get used to a new home. My mom dog sits for me sometimes and says he just stares at the door waiting for us to come home. She will bond with you, though, just stay at it!

Welcome to BW! You will love it here. Congratulations on your new addition!!!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Welcome to both of you. I am afraid I won't be of much help with the adjustment, as I have a puppy. But I know that many people here have done adult rescue, so follow the advice they are sharing. Welcome again.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Hi Bonnie,

Welcome to you and Snickers from Henry and Yodel and I.

You have received some good, sound advice here. I have none really...Henry was several years old when we adopted him and Yodel about a year.

I second what Buffy said...you are a beagle angel for taking this baby in. Just give Snickers love...the rest will happen.

~Denise

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Hi and a big welcome to beagle world. We adopted two adult beagles, they were 5/6 years old, now 7/8. It took a long time for them to adjust particularly as they had been used for research, but now they are the most loving beagles you could imagine and so happy.
Your Snickers will get used to you in time. Routine is very important and plenty of patience. Our first two beagles were adopted from happy famillies who couldnt keep them, but they also felt at home after a few weeks. Dogs sense sadness so try not to show you feel sorry for Snickers.
Thank you for taking an adult, you will be rewarded by love from this beagle believe me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts