Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How the hell they can keep doing this is a HUGE question to me.....as there are SO many beagle lovers out there...but we just want to ignore it, pretend that it isnt an issue.....

...well, I tried to post the OLD Iams video to another poster, I didnt find the old horrible videao, but what did I find....Yet a NEW video..of BEAGLES of course...

http://www.iamscruelty.com/

Right on the front page...look at it..the pic on the right with loads of beagle just lying there...

I didnt watch this one b/c I just cant, but the other one showed beagles with the muscles cut our, terrified, and dead. I have no idea if this is a graphic and I dont care..this has to stop!!!

WE HAVE TO SPEAK OUT...this is insane and not right at all!!

The worst part is, IAMS is huge and so many buy from them b/c of marketing...and they have no clue to what is going on!

PLEASE LOOK at the video or do somthing about this...THIS CANNOT GO ON!!!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Pegasus, it is terrible, I couldnt watch the video.
What sort of people work for these research places?!
We should all boycott any firms using Beagles (or other animals) for research. I feel like printing pamphlets and leaving them in supermarkets next to items by such firms. Here in Europe proctor and Gamble for instance.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
If I remember correctly, Gingergoose has researched MUCH about companies that do animal testing.....I'm sure she can shed some light on things.

I remember when this subject came up once before, how eloquently and passionately she presented this very subject.....yet without the zealot-like reactions which make many supporters back away from the cause.
(I'm not a fan of any animal rights group which uses intimidation or terror tactics)

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
How could anyone willingly torture beagles like these?

Susi was in a particularly horrid place, Snoopy didnt have it so bad but lost 4 years of his life behind bars. The place where Susi was bought free from,has decided to go back to killing their research beagles once 'finished with'. We are heartbroken, the thought of Susi having being disposed of is wicked. She was experimented on to help humans.
Iams tortures and kills beagles to make dog food safe? I dont believe that dog food from 10 years ago could be much worse than dog food today, so isnt it time they stopped.
Debanib, I dont believe violence is the right method to protest. One has to boycott the products and inform the public.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by A doghouse:
Debanib, I dont believe violence is the right method to protest. One has to boycott the products and inform the public.
Absolutely agree with you Angela! I hope I didn't sound like anyone on THIS board would support violence.
I think many loving pet owners and well-intentioned consumers turn a deaf ear to research horror stories because so many times, they see extremists presenting the stories and thus, choose not to get involved.

I applaud caring activists who compassionately portray the horrors in such an educational way, that everyday people will CHOOSE to get actively involved.

As I told Gingergoose once before, I myself have avoided research activism, not caring to be involved with extremism. She made such a wonderful argument for activism from a calm and educated point of view.....that it really got my attention!! You're right, learning about companies who torture for no other reason than to 'improve' dogfood is a reason for all of us to get off our backsides.....and get involved.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Hi Amanda!

When was that latest video made? Does it say?

The reason that I asked is because I went to the IAMS web-site and they actually have a page that defends the accusations made against them.:

http://www.iamstruth.com/iamstruth/en_US/jhtmls/landing/IT_Landing_Page.jhtml?li=en_US&pti=WO

I guess in a nutshell, it says that once "the activists" circulated out the original video, IAMS formed a committee to look into this in November 2006 (I think that was the date). Sitting on the committee were reps from the HSUS and ASPCA. (hardcore animal activist are not fans of the HSUS and ASPCA because these groups have been kown to officially excuse some animal research and euthanizations...don't know if it is politics or their actual philosophies).

If that video is recent, I believe that the link should be forwarded to IAMS web site as well as everybody listed on the committee. It should be accompanied with a letter (in polite language) stating your concern, asking them to explain what it is that you are seeing and emphasizing that you believe that this is new.

I would also give them a date by which to respond. And tell them that if you conclude that animals are still suffering at their "research" center, you will bring this to the attention of all of the people that you know who care about this so that they can decide if they still want to use the IAMS product.

I want so much to believe that IAMS is reforming. But for me, personally, it will take alot of convincing because of IAMS parent company, Proctor and Gamble. P&G has a very poor, unbending record of using animals in testing and where many companies have made just small steps to stop or decrease the use of animals, P&G has held firmly in their postion. I myself do not use (knowingly) any P&G products and haven't for years. I have several times written the company to let them know how I feel.

But that's me.

Sorry so long winded, but the first step is to send the new footage to IAMS and the committee members and wait for their explanation. Let us know what happens.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
And Deb...

Thank you for those very kind words. I really, really appreciate them.

~Denise~

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Debanib, no I was agreeing with you. Some animal activists have the opposite result and stop people helping. Thats what I meant by being against violence in this. One has to go about it calmly but surely.
Gingergoose, its good to know you are so involved. I learnt one thing from you today, P % G are owners of IAMS!!!!! I have tried to avoid proctor and gamble products for years. I havent come across the name Iams on pet food here, but I guess its sold under another name.
Once one gets at the firms profits they start to listen. So lets all write to these firms and boycott their products until research on animals stops.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by A doghouse:
Doghouse,

Your Susi and Snoopy are so special among a forum of special dogs. :heart:

When a company's research practices are cruel and inexcusable, boycott and public education are definetely the way to go.

But don't forget to also inform the company, in writing, the reason as to why you are boycotting their product. Mention that you are also telling friends and acquaintances about what you are doing and why.

And almost just as importantly, when addressing companies and the public, even though you feel passionately and mad-as-hell about this, remain calm, polite and non-judgemental (tough to do) when presenting the facts.

Just a FYI. And please give those special beetles a big hug and kiss from me...I can't quite reach them! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Ooops...

We were posting at the same time. I see you are completely on top of things, Angela!

'Cept that part about giving some love to Susi and Snoopy. Don't forget to do that for me.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Murphys Dad, would it be possible to send a letter from Beagle World to Proctor and Gamble, IAMS etc requesting research on animals to be stopped? Or would you prefer not to involve the forum? Just a thought. Would understand either way.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I just tried to go to the Iams web site to get a contact address so I could write a letter but the page won't load. I will try again later today. Also when I tried to go to the "truth link" listed above, it only partially loaded. I'll try again in a few hours.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Gingergoose,

Woould you be so kind as to provide a list or a link to a list of companies or products which do the animal testing? If you have one available, it would be appreciated. I have made a decision not to buy any products from companies that test on animals.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Hi Missbarksalot!

Companies that do not test on animals are far and few between but there are some. You can "google" up "companies that do/do not test on animals" and start from there.

There is a company called NAVS that keeps a running report on companies that do/do not test...all you have to do is type in the company from where you buy your favorite products and see what they have to say.
http://www.navs.org/site/PageServer?pagename=ain_pt_whois

Proctor and Gamble is a huge company with a seemingly endless supply of subsidiaries such as Iams and Eukanuba. P&G is a heavy supporter of animal testing and have historically been unwilling to alter their postition where many companies have.
http://www.pg.com/links/rosetta.html

It is impossible to list here every company in the world's animal testing policy...the best place to start is on the back of your product. Call the 1-800 number and ask.

FYI...In this country, all pharmaceuticals must be animal tested so NOT testing for them is not even an option at this point.

Thanks for being intersted in going "cruelty-free". If you do find that your favorite company does participate in animal testing...contact them and tell them how you feel.

~Denise~

·
Registered
146 Posts
PETA actually sent an undercover volunteer into the IAMS labs to see what could be seen. They found cruelty and wicked behavior which could all be proven. IAMS retorted with some double talk and a ridiculous movie that I watched about how their dogs are treated humanely and better than in most homes. You see them running through grass covered hills and playing with IAMS employees in lab coats and the puppies are always returned to their mothers and no cruelty goes on. What a load of crap. While I'm not fond of PETA and find them to be extremists as well, I do find them a tad more credible in this case.
On the other side of the coin, extremists are people like you and me that are so passionate about the things they see they cannot talk straight or think straight to get the best reaction out of people. I get very upset with these and other images of animals that are treated poorly and I can see how the anger could cause a person to go a little crazy.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by debannib:
(I'm not a fan of any animal rights group which uses intimidation or terror tactics)
I agree Deb. Years ago, I was a member of PETA, I am now embarrassed to admit. I suppose they mean well, but they've become a group of zealots whose tactics are too often over the top. (I apologize in advance if I've offended anyone.)

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by we3beagles:
.On the other side of the coin, extremists are people like you and me that are so passionate about the things they see they cannot talk straight or think straight to get the best reaction out of people....
...and I can see how the anger could cause a person to go a little crazy.
It happens. My God-fearing-salt-of-the-earth grandfather, was invited to join a young and newly formed "Christian" organization near his home in the early 1900's. Imagine his shame, upon finding out what those so-called Christian KuKluxKlansmen were REALLY about!
He made sure his children and grandchildren always understood how to discern if a person or group was on the up-and-up by what they DID, not what they PREACHED. He spent all of his life serving his God, and teaching the definition of discernment so we might learn from his moment of poor judgement. Just shows that good men can be fooled....

Genie, PETA has the best of intentions, they've simply allowed their group to grow controversial over time with their emotional reactions and terror tactics. Just like my grandfather, when you joined PETA, you simply didn't understand their extremist views (which began with the best of intentions) ....

We can choose to be effective in our efforts to change the world without resorting to more evil.....and I love each of you who is DOING that. Gingergoose and Doghouse, you both are my kind of leaders! Pegasus, your caring and passion continues to prick my conscience...thank you for posting this reminder.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Hi We3beagles!

I totally understand and agree with your anger!

Worse, I really despise big companies who participate in these atrocities then lie about it or cover it up.

It takes guts for the people who go out and get into those places to get proof of what is happening. It does!

My belief is that these companies don't care...they don't care about angry consumers and they don't care about these very vulnerable animals. They really don't care...unless...

...They feel it in their earnings. They see sales go down and customer outrage go up. It's the only language they speak. And it takes alot of people to do that. Which is where public education comes in. Which is where we come in.

When I look at Susi and Snoopy and then at my Henry and Olivia and Kelsey and imagine if they had ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time...it makes me physically sick.

So I'll just keep boycotting and telling the companies and anybody who wants to know how I feel and hope that it helps.

P.S. Like Deb said, thanks for the reminder Amanda.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks all for responding and posting your feelings about this.

Im so sorry that this bothers me so and I know it bothers all of you, I just think we have to be aware and educated about what is going on..

...and I was so shocked that after the video last year that there was another one..nothing changed!

I just think there are things we can do and products that we refuse to buy to fight this.

Testing on animals will ALWAYS happen...Im a doctor, I know that it HAS to be done...BUT TESTING in such a CRUEL way is NOT acceptable, NOT needed at all!! This is insane...there is NO reason an animal needs to be treated this way..

That was my point...and I hate IAMS for doing this...but they are not the only ones.

I just think we all need to be aware of what is going on..then it is up to you to make a difference.

Amanda

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
I have just spent an hour reading all sorts of websites about animal research. IAMS tell a pack of lies. They make out the film of beagles being cut about was nothing to do with them. Yet they talk about the research done on healing muscles. Administration is always to blame, if they didnt know what was happening to the beagles, then shame on them. I was shocked to see Eukabena was part of the group. Every vet here sells it. I shall tell our vet what goes on behind the scenes.
I buy a brand of dog food where they dont use animals in research. However, I shall now investigate even that firm as I dont trust any of them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts