Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last week or so there has been this sweet little Beag mix doggie (we think he might have some rat terrior or mini collie in him) hanging around our fence driving my Wonder Twins crazy! The Girls would run the fenceline and bark at him for hours while he just sat there and looked at them like they were crazy. He would not go away so yesterday, hubby was working at home and could not stand the barking no more. So he hollared at the doggie (Jack!!!!) and put him in the back yard with Twins.

They had a blast and I beleive we have new member in our family! Since yesterday, Jack has been bathed 2X for fleas, been wormed and treated for ear mites. He also has a brand new blue collar and a clean bedspread to sleep on in the carport.

Now here is the maybe part.........

Jack has been running throughout the neighborhood for the last 10 days atleast. He was by my parent's house (in the bottom of the neighborhood) last week and has been here since Thursday. Tonight one of our fellow doggie Mom's was walking her baby and saw Jack and said that a couple of days ago 2 younger teenish girls had asked her if she had seen a *Beagle* cause their's had gotten lost. Now in a heartbeat I would give back a lost dog (cause I can't really afford another pup) but then again, even though he was good shape, he still had a bad case of fleas and ear mites.

So give me some advice please! I really could *love* Jack forever and ever or Hubby's ex even inquired about wanting him and would give him a great home too, or do I put up signs and offer him back to people who did not watch out for him in the past?

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Personally, I would keep him. Abby was gone for 1 hour and we were all sick to death with worry.

Not only is she micro chipped just in case but she also wears her collars everywhere which shows responsible pet ownership (in addition to being on prevntative flea meds).

If Abby had not been found the other day as soon as Béla would have gotten home him and Rebecca would have set out to look for her again and I would have started printing up posters and calling shelters, letting neighbors know she was missing, etc. There is no way in he-ll it would have taken us two weeks to find her unless something bad happened to her.

We love Abby and are passionate about her. If you get the vibe that "Jacks" family is too the right thing to do would be to give him back. If not, he will be better off in a forever family that is passionate about him.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Tammy, A few months ago, I was in a similar situation, so here's what I did: I put up "found" posters up in the neighborhood which was a big mistake. Several hunters called, but could not accurately describe her, probably because they wanted to breed her. I took my flyers to all the local veterinarian's offices to post on their bulletin boards. Next I posted a "found" ad in Petfinder. No Response. After 10 days I contacted a friend who owns a beagle rescue. She posted the dog on her website, and in two weeks she was in her new loving home.
If Jack was found with no collar or tags, you made reasonable effort to locate the owner, and you know someone willing to take him in, I say go for it!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Why not get your vet to check if he's been micro-chipped? If his owners care about him they will have had him done - and you will know you have made an effort to find them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wow. Maybe it was the coffee I just drank, but I'm feeling a little sick reading from people who say they would simply keep him. Like someone said, two weeks is a long time for stuff to happen. Maybe he doesn't have any tags because his parents thought enough to get him a break-away collar. Maybe his family has been looking for him non-stop, just not in your neighborhood. I'm sure we all can relate to just how far a beagle can roam when given the opportunity (and the right scent). Her family could be 20 miles away!

Of course the OP is the only one who has seen the dog and knows how it really is, so I will of course trust her judgement and decision. But if my Josie became lost, and whoever found her didn't try to find me just because she had picked up some fleas and lost her collar, I would be devastated, not to mention pretty disapointed in a fellow dog lover.

Please make an effort.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
There is a point to Nolan's post. I think that you should try and see if Jack is microchipped, check with local vets and see if someone was looking for him, and as a last resort, place some notes in your area. If someone responds to those, they better be able to provide some very specific physical characteristics Jack has.

If non of those works, than he is yours to adore for the rest of his life /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Good-Luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone! I am going to do the right thing and try and find the owners. Neighbor just called and said someone drove up and looked over the fence. Maybe the owner? Guess we will see this afternoon when we get home!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'd put up found dog posters, but omit some distinguishing characteristic. Then, when someone called about the dog, ask for a detailed description. That's what we did when we had a wonderful bluetick coonhound hanging around. We weren't too happy about the owner, but he did exactly describe the dog.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I do agree with trying to find the owner. My Chopper is a similar situation. He showed up this last winter when it was 20 below and he was skin/bones with tons of fleas. I just left out some food for him a few days then took him in. Put posters up around town. No one claimed him. We live in a very VERY small town though, where everyone kinda knows the neighbors dogs, etc. and no one knew him. I figured someone knew I had beagles aand had seen mine out on the chain when they do their business and had dropped him there. So he became part of the family.

Then a few months later he got loose and of course at that time we had loved him so we put up signs then around town and things, and someone 10 miles away had found him in Missouri! When he called and everything it was just heartbreaking until we got to the place to meet the farmer and there he was, mr. Chopper sitting right in the front seat just as proud as punch and excited to see us. So, I guess its a hard thing, but I would definitely try to find the owners for a while.

Judi and the crew

1 - 11 of 11 Posts