Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It just seems that all our time is filled with opposing views of what he should do. We keep him on a leash inside because we yet don't feel we can trust him to go pee. I hate the fact he lives a controlled existance. He does nothing but pull the leash on me to go another place, or he just flat out lays down and refuses to go.. *sigh* am I doing something wrong?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
How old is he? Why don't crate him when you can't watch him? Maybe that will be easier for you (and him). You can position the crate where he can see you but is confined. When you can be with him and watch him, let him roam free (in the room, not the house). Make sure you take him out once an hour.

Accidents will happen no matter what, but he will learn! I think it's the best method for pottytraining.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Well, of course, there is something wrong, Mom...you are not letting me have my way!
Linus

LOL!!!! Others will have better advice than me, as I have never had a puppy. In general, though, I think they are a lot like toddlers. They just want their way and pout when they don't get it. Hang in there!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. Thats what began to happen to me the second week I had my pup. I realized i was giving to many rules and not enough fun. I was to concerned about getting her basic obediance in that she started to become distant. Let him run free and make a few mistakes in the house all pups are gonna do it. Even my 10y/o collie makes a mistake everyonce in a while. I'm ramblin but basically what i'm getting at is you gotta let him be a kid /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
If you let him win now, he will win for life. Just stick with it, he'll come around.

Do you have a way to gate him off so he is just in the room that you are in if there is no carpet? At least messes on flooring is easier to clean up. I have invested in a carpet shampooer and have gotten my money's worth. Accidents happen, that's my motto.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I would gate off an area or buy a crate for him. Put all his stuff in there...toys, blankets, treats, etc. That way he'll feel like it's his spot. That should help the housebreaking issues as well. As a general rule, dogs don't like to go to the bathroom where they eat and sleep. Take him out every hour. Praise him and give him treats every time he pottys outside. Praise him like no dog has ever done anything that good. Just be firm and consitent. Praise the good, ignore the bad. Like Spencer's Mom said, accidents will happen. When they do, clean them up and move on.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Great advice so far, the only thing I can add (as I'm going through this myself) is PATIENCE. Their litte bladders have to mature and develope before they're able to hold and control their urine, and there will be accidents along the way. Good luck with the potty training!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We do crate him, I just feel bad that I need to have him out of the crate if I am at home, but I will not let him wander far from me, that is why I keep him on the leash at all times. He is only about 3 months old and really does well on going when we go out. I guess my point is, it's very tiring at this age in this dog's life because he does require constant supervision and I feel bad putting him in the crate.. :|

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
You shouldn't feel bad. Most likely linus is accustomed to being in it, and feels safe there. It doesn't mean he has to be there all the time when you're home, but only when you can watch him (cooking or whatever).

Maybe when he is not in his crate and you want to keep him close to you, you can gate the room so that he stays with you.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Gate off a small room near you, be it the hallway to the kitchen or the kitchen itself.

I kept the living room gated while Dixie was house training, now she runs through the whole house and when she got to go she goes to the door.

She is almost 9 months old. Still working on the hold it longer part while out of the crate.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
If you can't handle a three month old puppy NEVER have a baby /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/tired.gif

Don't lose sight that a puppy IS a baby, you wouldn't expect a three month old baby (or even a year old baby) to be potty trained, and be able to entertain themselves at that age. Also remember that beagles are pack animals. They're use to having a "pack" around them and need that close companionship.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Don't worry, Diesel, it sounds like you are doing fine. This is a stage, and you will both grow through it. This is a "toddler" stage where Linus will resist what you want, and you still have to control his environment. Try to get as much fun-time as possible.

I don't remember your home situation -- do you have a fenced area? My suggestion would be to continue as you are doing indoors, but try to spend as much time as possible outdoors, where Linus can be given more freedom. If you don't have a fence, get a long line so Linus can have more freedom to explore than he has indoors. A lot of household activities can be moved outdoors! I used to pay bills, plan meals, eat meals, and even stenciled some curtains outside at a card table, while watching Lucy when she was a baby puppy. Flora was a puppy during the winter, so we didn't have that option, but she learned a lot from Lucy.

Good luck, and have fun! The puppy days are over all too soon (although it sure doesn't feel like it at the time).

Sylvia

·
Registered
220 Posts
We had the exact same problem with Bloom when she was about that age so I can totally understand you. I know how you feel, but cheer up! Linus is still a baby. Just give him a little more time /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif
I'm sure it will all get better

·
Registered
250 Posts
I can totally relate to how you feel about putting him in the crate when you are home.. but i found a solution. i used baby gates. they keep him in a confined area but not to confined to be away from my site.

he did have accidents but he did learn.
and as they get older you can move the gates to where they have a little more freedom onece they learn how to potty ouside. right now diesel has full run of downstairs. but he is not allowed up stairs.

just hang in there and be patient. that is the key to owning a beagle puppy

·
Registered
30 Posts
I totally back the crate idea. At first I felt so bad for leaving Augie in her crate so often, but once her and I got used to it and I realized it was her own good, things improved very quickly.

I have been amazed at her transformation. I used to have to follow her around constantly or keep her on the leash, but now with the crating at certain times during the day (I call them nap times) she has been learning to control her bladder and bowels so much longer.

There have been about 4 accidents in the past two weeks whereas we used to have 4 accidents in a couple of hours before I started getting serious about crate training. Give it a go!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I remember those days. Sometimes I wondered if we had made a mistake but then I looked at those sweet eyes and knew we didn't. The puppy stage can be very trying but stick with it. the great companion your pup will grow up to be is well worth the time and effort now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts