Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you get a beagle to go pee and poo OUTSIDE consistently?

We were told Kali was house trained. Not quite. She has gone pee and poo outside before, but its inconsistent. When she is outside we encourage her, and praise her when she does her business. But she has pooped in our spare bedroom 3 times. Now that door is kept shut. She has also pooped in our family room twice. Can't close that one, this their play area. This morning she pooped in the dining room in front of Frani. She yelled NO and took her outside, but she refused to finish.

She has been shaking since yesterday. We think its because she is holding it all in and is uncomfortable.

She started going to the front door, so we take her for a walk, no poo, maybe a pee if we are lucky. What drives me nuts is that she hates the grass in the back yard, but has no issue with walking through grass in other people's yards. And no, we don't chemically treat our grass. This is getting frustrating.

Side note:
Kali is seeing a orthopedic surgeon today for a second opinion on her broken paw.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Maybe add some treats to the praise? That's what worked for Jersey. It didn't take long for her to realize that potty outside meant a nice tasty treat for the Beagle. I wish I had some better advice. We got pretty lucky with Jersey.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jen. We will keep some biscuits handy.

As for the paw, Kali was seen by the surgeon who rebuilt Summer's ACL (the first one). She told Frani to tell me to stop worrying. The paw is fine and should be ready to go in 3 weeks. The last x-ray looks bad because of how it was taken (bad angle). So by the end of October, Kali will be back to normal.

·
Registered
220 Posts
That's great news about the paw!! Second opinions are always so reassuring

as for the pooping, Monty is 2 years, and this mornig...he pooped in the basement!! I think it was my boyfriends fault because he didn't follow routine in the morning (putting Monty out as soon as he wakes up). But when we were training him, we stuck to a routine, and gave him treats outside after he did his business. It worked ok, as long as we stuck to the routine times.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great update re Kali! I'm so glad you consulted with the surgeon. I'm afraid I won't be of any help re pooping since Mags is at that stage of her life where she poops anywhere and everywhere. I'm just glad when it has some form to it (which is probably more than you wanted to know ...)!

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I can say Charlie is house trained now! He is turning 3 in January, not until lately he is completely house trained!
What I did was, I spray the area where he peed with vinegar(with water). He does not like that smell. And still continued to praise him every time he went out, and scold him no when he peed inside. He knew it, he hide away everytime when I had to mop the floor. Because I grumbled non-stop.....bad boy, see what you did again! Good luck, I know it is frustrated.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad to read the update on Kali's paw. As for the other, I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions. It's been so long that I've forgotten what we did. When Spook came 4 years so he was, by some miracle, already housebroken.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great news on Kali's paw. If you ask me it's better to be a worry wart when it comes to our fur babies than to overlook a problem that may end up being something major.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I did try the ice cube. Kali was NOT pleased. And No it didn't work. She closed up her butt even tighter and whimpered. Talk about intestinal fortitude!

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Shiloh still sometimes has accidents, usually of the liquid variety but occasionally a poop. Because of her Cushings (and probably her age too) she has to pee fairly often. When I was working this was our potty schedule: get up and 5, take her out for pee and poop,(which I always praise her for, even after all this time) have breakfast and watch a little morning news, then take her out for another pee, take a shower and get dressed, take her out for a last pee before I leave at 7:45. Since I've been home I sleep till 6, then take her out. And several more times during the morning. I've figured out that if she pees a lot in the morning she can hold it better during the day. But even after all these years, she still doesn't have a real signal to let me know she needs to go. I just have to remember to take her. She does try, though. And she knows she's done wrong when she goes in the house.

So glad Kali's foot is healing. What is this about an ice cube up her butt? Ouch!!

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Great update on Kali's paw! As for her other problem, I can offer no help, as Maggie is still not even close to being house trained. She goes outside on command (most of the time anyway) but will turn right around and go in the house also...both poo and pee. Her new 'trick' is to jump up on the couch in my living room and poop on that. I don't know where I've gone wrong!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Great news about the paw!! When we trained we got lucky. Hunter got it quickly, just good timing and treats,If I remember correctly. Casey had a few more accidents, but when she realized Hunter went outside to do her business she wanted to copy her, so she did too. Good luck

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The 'Ice cube on the butt trick is usually used to make a paralyzed dog clear their bowels in about 10 seconds.

Fully functional dogs may be a whole different issue. Sorry Kali!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just had an idea, but then remembered that Kali's paw has not completely healed yet. I was thinking of taking her out for a short jog. Chloe ALWAYS poops when I take her out for a power walk/jog, even if she was a little constipated before.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Glad to hear about Kali's paw, sorry about the other.
Flora went through a stage of pooping in the house, after we had considered her house trained. The problem turned out to be that she didn't want to poop in the yard (in her opinion, it wasn't being cleaned often enough). We had a period of keeping her crated while we figured that one out.

What does Kali like to poop on? Any way to take that to the outdoors? (And then gradually convince her to poop on more outdoor stuff?)

I also agree with the exercise idea -- works great on Flora, even when we wish it wouldn't.

Good luck!
Sylvia

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Molly is 80% house trained, we have had her for 7 months and she is about 3 years old.

That being said, I read recently the dogs do NOT know how to go potty outside, they have to learn that is where they go! My 2nd greyhound we adopted, Andy, came to us 2 days off the track and he really had no idea what the house was, what grass was, where to potty etc. Then we got Molly who was kept in a kennel at the shelter so she learned to pee in there. It took quite awhile for her to learn the pp outside. I actually stopped being frustrated and would just hook her leash in her potty area, sit on the deck and say molly, go PP. Now she pretty much does it on her own.

The one problem we have is the anxiety pee'ing when we leave her to go out, but she is starting to relax.

Also, really learn to watch to signals and limit access to your house when you can't be watching. That made a HUGE difference with training Molly. I learned to watch for her signals by keeping her close by - then I could get her right outside.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Do you try to get her to potty with Summer out with her? Lucky has to go out by himself to poop!! He is just too interested in everything else going on if Toby is out with him. IDK if that will help you in any way, but that is what we have discovered is the trick with Lucky. The other thing I do with him is really probably crate training, but I use it for potty training. If I take him out and he doesn't poop, he comes in and goes into the crate. I wait 10-15 minutes and try again. With Toby not in his crate, Lucky doesn't want to be in his. If he poops he gets free run of the house with Toby. If he doesn't poop he goes back to the crate. It has served as crate training, as he doesn't mind his crate as much anymore, but it has helped BIG time in the potty training. The other nice thing is that his poops are scheduled! He poops at 7:30am and 10:30pm - really trying to move the nighttime one up a little, but he won't have it!!

On the peeing, I am no help on that one! Lucky drinks way too fast and too much at one time, thus an accident in about 30 minutes if I don't take him out first! As long as I monitor his water intake, he isn't peeing in the house too much anymore.

Glad to hear about the paw, though!!! That's great news!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts