Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
before joining this forum, i never realized that beagles had serious health issues.
do beagles in general have major health issues, or does it just seem like its the beagles on this forum? i dont know a whole lot about beagles really, but it just seems they are very sickly creatures.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
You have to remember no matter what kind of dog you have, wherever there is a higher number of people that are passionate about the same thing [we love our beagles and love talking to other beagle lovers about beagles :thumbup: ] there is bound to be more issues that come to light than comparing to say the general public.

I know on my Pregnancy forums there are so many issues and problems with so many pregnancies of other forum members, but in the general public those issues and problems are few and far between.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I've had two beagles for almost three years now, the third for two, and number four for three hours /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif . Outside of Ginger's hearworm treatment and Chloe's annual teeth cleaning, I've yet to have any significant problems.

Hope Bernie is doing well!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Every breed has its particular health issue. With cockers its ears, labs - hips, dachsunds - multiple back issues, the list goes on. It has to do with breeding. You get a batch bred to close, and problems ensue.

Remember, nature abhores a vaccuum... meaning natural selection is bypassed when breeding to "improve" a breed. Nature wants cross breeding, breeders don't.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
I think it is just that we are centered on the ones that are ill here on Beagle World. I have a friend at work who has a Snauser and the little Snausser is always sick with something.

Our first Beagle, Sam had 2 knee surgeries and lived on to be 14 with little problems. My poor Sadie has had problems with a herniated disk, but is better (knock on wood that she continued to do well). Mr. Pooh Bear has been a healthy fella. Really no problems and he is 7.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think, as a general rule, beagles are probably one of the healthier breeds. We have quite a few on our practice and we don't see nearly as many problems as we do with some others. I will have to say, though that most of the problems we get with any breed are dogs that come from BYB or mills.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have had Beagles for 25 years and have not really had too many problems with them until they got older,so I still think they are a relatively healthy breed.
They have been;Tansy PTS aged 12 major disc probs over her last year.
Willow died aged 9 of kidney failure.
Flame 6 discs repaired age 9,Major Vestibular attack aged 13, PTS aged 14 and a half.
Dylan PTS aged 13 and a half very large tumour in abdomen.
Griffin is now 11 and has Spondylosis but is still walking well and doing everything that a Beagle wants to do.
So apart from Willow they have all made double figures with not much veterinary interaction.

·
Registered
443 Posts
In general beagles are one of the toughest, most stalwart of breeds. They tend to be stoic when in pain which sucks since you don't always know when they are. There are numerous stories of beagles ignoring injury and pain to rescue their puppies from fire, help their people etc. They are tough little doggies bred to track rabbits for miles through brush, bryers, thorns, etc. Certainly not sickly!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Other than the attack incident, most the health related issues I post about are for my dogs who aren't beagles. My past beagles had some issues, but as a rule were generally healthy. I'll hope that my Li'l Girl continues to be healthy especially since she's 8 years old now, and getting into senior beaglehood.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I am glad someone asked that question because I had been wondering also. I belong to some other groups that cover all breeds though and I read about the same kinds of issues, seizure disorder, back problems, cancer etc. I just keep hoping Maggie will be lucky enough to maintain her good health and if not I will do whatever I can to get her better. I try to do the preventative things like limiting the height of her jumps, and good quality food (although food is a tricky issue these days with all the recalls). I also decided to take the pet insurance. I did find a plan that covers hereditary conditions. Maggie was accepted but I haven't received the actual policy yet and am waiting to see if they excluded her for anything.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
I have the best book about dog breeds called The Perfect Match, by Chris W-something. She lists each dog breed, size, average life expectancy, temprament, etc., and common health problems. Many breeds she lists have lots of potential problems, a few have only a couple. Most have at least 3 or 4 listed, and that's the group beags fall in, if I remember right.
When Shiloh was diagnosed with Cushings Disease, I read that certain breeds are more prone to the disease, and that beagles were more prone. But in the 2 years I've been in the support group, only a handful of beagle owners have joined.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I don't have much experience with beagles since Lucky is not yet 2 years old, but he is healthy as can be. He did have Parvo as a puppy, but that had nothing to do with him being a beagle. His mother was never vaccinated. I was told Lucky would not do as well after having Parvo, but every time we see the vet he tells us how healthy he is and can't believe how well he has done! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I think what you are seeing in this forum is small percentage of beagle owners internationally. We are all beagle lovers and hence more prone to do more for our beagles. Not to mention we love to share stories of our beagles so you will hear about problems. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
540 Posts
Many of us who use the forum started because we needed information or support for our most loved beagle, whether because they were puppies and we needed puppy help (that's me) or because our beagle had a health issue. Some of us joined beagle forums just because we wanted to share with other beagle people. All breeds of dogs have their similarities, but also and most important, their own uniqueness and tendencies. AS we continue to post and read the forum, our beagles age and we continue to want to know how other beagles are. From what I have heard and read, beagles are very long lived compared to other breeds. We are fortunate for that. Also, since they live so long unless illness strikes, they stay puppies longer. There is just something so joyous as puppy. Mine are now about 20 months old and they are much better behaved, but still puppies doing puppy things, which makes me smile and laugh. I know my friends with greyhounds have their own health issues and potential problems. I'm just glad we have beagles and have this forum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts