Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6 month old male beagle was neutered on Wednesday and has not been the same since. The first couple of days he slept a lot and seemed to be doing fine. His appetite was not very good but he ate a decent amount and played like usual. On Friday, he continued to sleep a lot more than normal (all night and about 6-8 hours during the day) and did not eat very well. He did the same thing on Saturday, except he threw up once. For the last couple days, he has remained very sleepy but when he is awake he is pretty active and playful. I took him on a short walk and he did well and seemed to have a good time. I have made sure he stays hydrated by feeding him ice (he hasn't had much of an appetite and I haven't seem him drink much water). He ate some kibble out of my hand yesterday (probably about half a cup) but hasn't had a full meal in a couple days. This morning I gave him some rice and yogurt and he seemed to enjoy that.

Also, he started to sneeze a little bit yesterday but his ears look good.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. FYI: I am an unexperienced dog owner and I don't have the financial capacity to take him to the vet unless I know there's something actually wrong.

Right now his symptoms are: sleeping a lot, poor appetite, and started to sneeze a little bit (no discharge).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: This afternoon he was more active and alert and seems like he might be feeling better. His sneezing has increased and he sounds like he might have a stuffy nose.

I starting to think that he went from recovering from his surgery to figthing a cold all in a matter of a few days.

Any thoughts???

·
Registered
847 Posts
I doubt there is anything wrong with him. He might have a cold which is separate from the neutering. Usually dogs are back to normal after the neutering within a few days. Unless he's scratching at the incision, it is excessively red or any drainage you should be fine. Just keep the incision area clean and make sure he leaves it alone.

·
Registered
326 Posts
does he have any type of cough with the sneezing?

After Charlie was Neutered, he got kennel cough (from vets) all the symptoms your describing, BUT with a hack type cough too.

only thing I can think of sorry if I can't help more, hope your babe feels better soon.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Can you call your vet's office to get some input without having to bring him in? Our vet is very good like that but I know some others are not.

It is important, especially after surgery, to keep note of how they are doing and voicing any concerns you have, sounds like he could've caught a little something.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: Looks like he is doing better. He is still sneezing and I think his nose is stuffy but he started eating and has been more active (no cough). His incision looks fine and it doesn't seem to bother im at all - he doesn't lick at it or anything.

I think B & B hit the nail on the head - he started to get a cold which is separate from the neutering.

FYI: I contacted the vet like 4 days ago (when it first started) and although they tried to be helpful, they said the symptoms were too vague and that I would need to bring him to be examined...

·
Registered
890 Posts
When our first beagle got a cold several years ago, the vet suggested giving her chicken noodle soup. Just the plain old Campbells variety. You add twice as much water as normal so it is very thin. Beagles love it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Originally Posted By: Tucker's DadWhen our first beagle got a cold several years ago, the vet suggested giving her chicken noodle soup. Just the plain old Campbells variety. You add twice as much water as normal so it is very thin. Beagles love it.
Thanks for that, always handy to know these remedies, should the need arise

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a dog/cat first aid book that says you can give your pets Gatorade that is diluted (1 to 1) to prevent dehydration. This will at least put something in their system.

·
Registered
29 Posts
AFter a vet visit, dogs are usually pretty wore out. Especially, when they are put to sleep for anything major. ( Like neutering. ) It will take him some days to get over the medicine, and get back to normal. His immune system was probably weakened some, and since he is really young, its easier for him to get sick. He probably caught some doggie cold, but in a week or so, he should be back to normal.

Great advice by Boricua. Call the vet and let them know whats happening, if youre THAT worried about it. Your dog will be fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts