Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dear little Sammy has finally escaped her kennel, after about a week of trying. We have had this kennel for quite some time, but she just recently started the break out process. It is a black wire kennel we got at petco. It was a Precision brand. She worked and worked on the wires until she finally broke enough of them to get out. Imagine my suprise when I got home and there is no beagle in the kennel. She was sleeping on the couch with that I know I did something wrong look. Right now I am using her plastic(ABS) travel crate, but it is too small in my opinion for her to be in it for 10 - 12 hours a day. I do come home for lunch to let her out and play for an hour.
So if anyone has a suggestion as to what kennel to get that is hopefully escape proof I greatly appreciate it.
On a side note we did just have her gated in the kitchen, but she figured out how to get over that, rendering it useless. This little girl is very smart and determined, and I am convinced she can do anything if she wants to.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
10-12 hours a day is waaaaay too long for them to be crated...if I was here I'd be breaking out too :lol2:

Can you look into doggie daycare?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sammy is not in her crate for 10-12 hours straight, more like 5-6 hours at a time. I am home for lunch for an hour and we go out and take care of business, and then we play for about 20 minutes.
Mo2B's that is a very nice kennel.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Wow that is a beautiful pen!!!
Yes, maybe it would be better if you could make something like that. Or you'll have to find a strong metal crate, but large.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by BeagleBabe:
10-12 hours a day is waaaaay too long for them to be crated...if I was here I'd be breaking out too :lol2:

Can you look into doggie daycare?
I can understand folks need to work during the day time. Some doggie daycare charge over $20 per day. Do you have a garage, somewhere it is more open then a crate. Half time in a crate, and half in the garage? Or gate a bathroom?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Buddy chewed through the first crate/kennel we got him, so we knew we needed to find something. We built a small room in our basement for Buddy. My husband and I fought over what kind of door. I wanted a metal screen door with a window and he wanted a wood door. I won. Buddy lost.....he broke though two glass windows (he never got hurt or even cut - THANK GOD)....so now it is boarded up. We are pretty sure it is escape proof. Before this house we gated him in the kitchen. We only had one doorway to block off and a baby gate was useless. We got a four foot high MDF board (which is heavy) and locked that to two boards we drilled into the wall. So those got locked into place outside of the room so he couldn't chew or scratch at them. Then we put a baby gate over it (so it was six foot high). We had to put plexiglass over the gate so he couldn't chew it or pull it down. Beagles are amazing at escaping. I really like the pen made out of the fencing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts