Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of crate can keep a dog from escaping? This is the 2nd crate I've been through and the 3rd time I'm going to have to weld it.

When Lucy is alone she gets very disturbed. Last night, maybe an hour or two after she went in to the crate she got out, and then peed again on the floor. I think the first thing I need to do to make sure we can stay together is find a way to keep her in the crate when she gets put in there. I really need some advice. I think that if I could fix the separation anxiety and the fear of thunderstorms, she'll be able to stay here and we can keep our pup. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
889 Posts
The main thing we did with our two when we crated them before was to just make it a really positive experience. I think it's a little easier with two beagles though, because they're not alone during the day. We would often put them in their crate while we were home and made sure it was in a place where they could see us. We were trying to get them to understand that the crate didn't necessarily mean we were leaving. We associated the crate with a word too. We would say bedtime and as soon as they went in their crate they got a treat. They got to the point that when we said bedtime they would run to their crate and jump in, knowing they were going to get something yummy.

I would also say that taking short trips in the beginning might be helpful. And possibly getting her a Kong to give her something to focus on while you're gone. Another thing to really watch is her amount of exercise. I'm not sure how old she is, but for the most part with our dogs, they're happy when they're tired. LOL They get into less mischief if they've had their exercise and they're much more relaxed it seems.

I hope some of that helps!! Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
287 Posts
To answer your question, we have Quinn and Grayson in traveling kennels. The Bargain Hound kennels haven't given us ANY problems, and they are the cheapest ones out there, from what I've found.

As to how we got them in there, we put them together at first (which I realize isn't an option for you). The first week we had them, I stuck them in the crate and then left the room for most of the day. They whined a bit, but I never allowed them the opportunity to leave their crate based on their vocalizations. There weren't really any treats involved in it. Later, we decided to crate them separately. When we did, we would give them a specific toy that they only got when in the crate. The only way to get rawhide was to be in the crate. I liked this method because it didn't involve giving them loads of treats. It took the puppies a day to get adjusted to sleeping in separate crates. Now, if we are leaving them in the apartment while we go out, we throw a kong filled with their puppy food in the crates. That keeps them occupied until we have walked out the door. After that, they eventually fall asleep.

As for your situation, I would also add to Erin's pointers by suggesting you play music while you're gone. We would crate the puppies while we were in the apartment and make them go to sleep while we were running around. This way, they learned to sleep with noise. The same works for music. I've also heard that the sound of the bass in songs simulates a mother's heartbeat, which is why it's good for puppies.

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For Lucy, the biggest thing is that she doesn't like being alone. I think that if I can fix that, everything else will fall together. When I leave her in the crate at night, there is a 80% chance she will escape, then urinate where she is sitting at waiting for me to come down stairs. Also, while this is happening, there is probably a bag of some sort that's in the middle of being destroyed. Even when I go upstairs to eat breakfast she will go crazy. I hope I can get her on the right track before I get a new job, this is going to make my parents furious if they have to deal with this while I'm gone.

I've started walking her - a lot. 2.5 miles in the morning, and another 2.0-2.5 in the evening. It's making her very tired and making me a little thinner. Right now since I'm downstairs again she is flopped down on the couch taking a snooze.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We bought a Kong for Phoebe and would fill it with the treat and a little bit of peanut butter so that she would be occupied for a while and then just go to sleep. A friend of mine would put soft dog food in the Kong and freeze it so the dogs had to work really hard to get it out.

I also turn on the radio or tv. Its not so much for her to think we're still there but to drown out any outside noise that might scare her (she's a huge scaredy cat when it comes to loud noises).

·
Registered
287 Posts
I also started putting a blanket over the kennel while they were sleeping. This way, they couldn't see when we left. The puppies were way more quiet, even though they could still smell us....they seemed to do better if the bed sheet was over the kennel when we left.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So this morning Lucy got out of her crate, opened two doors, peed upstairs, and generally caused me a lot more stress than I'm already faced with.

I have 2 options,

Find a crate that she CANNOT escape from TODAY
Find her a new home TODAY

I would love to hear some insights. I love Lucy but her problem is that she CANNOT be away from people. Every day this week I have taken for a 5.5 or 6 mile walk (2-3 in morning and in evening) and I don't know what else I can do. I have a 1 year old son and I spend more time making sure the dog is happy than my son. I REALLY need your advice. Please, PLEASE help me.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Get another animal (cat/dog)? That is my best suggestion. Quinn cries if she is without me, but she gets over it. When with her brother, she's fine.

·
Registered
837 Posts
How old is she?

If you are going to rehome her TODAY your chances of finding her a good responsible home in that amount of time that is able to care for her, with her behaviourial problems, is next to nil.

If you are going to rehome her please make sure you do so to a responsible person who knows what they are doing and is prepared to take on a dog who needs some serious training.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Does she need to be crated? We used a pen with our second beagle and he seemed very happy! We kept the pen in the kitchen with his crate (opened), and a wee wee pad when he was still young. So he had some freedom but not free run of the house.

We also leave the tv or radio on when we are not home for all of the animals. Have you considered leaving something (like a shirt or blanket) with your scent on it?

I feel your pain and really hope you don't have to rehome her! It takes a lot of work and some puppies require more than others. Beagles are wondeful dogs and well worth the time and effort.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts