Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the WORST scare a few minutes ago - was getting ready to let the "kids" outside for the first time this morning - as usual, they were all gathered at the top of the steps - and Joe got too close to the edge and FELL all the way down - landed on his back - then then ran and hid under the futon. I coaxed him out and he seems fine - think more scared than anything, he went outside with the others - moves all right, but bet he's going to be a sore puppy later. I don't think I've been so scared in my life! I could just see him with a broken back. He's sitting here by me now so guess he's okay, but he sure gave his mommy a bad scare! I've always been afraid one would fall down those stairs - because they all "congregate" on the top by the door - I'm constantly pulling one of them away from the edge - usually Jack!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Oh, poor baby! That must have been so scary and quite traumatic for Joe. Hope all is well with him. Give him an extra scritch from us!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Poor Joe! Hopefully he was just scared and not hurt. But he may need to take it easy for a couple days. Give him a belly rub from us!

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Oh goodness! That is a scare. My dachshund did that when he was 6 months old or so. Scared the heck out of me, but he was ok.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone - he isn't really ACTIVE right now, so gave him a "doggie aspirin", and hopefully he'll sleep while I'm at work. He has gone upstairs a couple of times with me - and he's napping now. Seems to be walking all right, but was so scary for me. He fell down the whole flight of stairs - not just to the landing - but all the way from top to bottom - and there is no carpeting even to "cushion" his fall a little. It's something that I try to be careful with, but when I have 6 or 7 of them on the steps trying to get through the door at one time, it's difficult.
Here's "Jo-Tan's Little Dancing Joe" - who is my "special boy" - all ten are special - but he's been a mama's boy from the day he was "whelped" - I call him my "Velcro Joe".

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got home from work - he seems to be his normal "bouncy" self, but I'll keep an eye on him for a couple of days anyway! When I let them all out this afternoon there was a beautiful doe outside the fence - and they all took off barking - Little Joe, too. The thought of him being seriously hurt just scared me to death. You'd think with ten beagles, I'd be used to "accidents", but for the most part, they've been pretty lucky - or I've been pretty lucky! There have been a few fights - most recent with some of the girls "pouncing" on Lottie - Lottie is LITTLE but she can be a little "feisty" with the others. She's fine now, but sure had me worried when I came home and found her "bloody". I think Joe is okay - but he'll get taken to see Dr. Randy at first sign there's any problem.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Wow, poor you and pup. Marley has taken a few spills down the steps himself and it is scarey you are right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts