Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to walk a puppy on a leash. Chloe was out only once (didn't finish her shots yet - this coming Tuesday thank god), but that time she wouldn't walk and I had to almost drag her along. My dog back home is 11 and knows heel and everything, and I don't remember how it was when he was a puppy....
I don't want to drag her, and with the harness, it's not very effective, because she is so small still, it almost comes off.
Help

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well, first off, Chloe is incredibly cute. I'd get a short leash and collar, then try coaxing her along with a few treats. Is she used to wearing a harness yet? Is this your first beagle?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, first Beagle, not first dog though... I can say for sure that the difference between them is like being on both sides of the world..... unbelievable.
I do have a short leash, don't like the flexi ones anyway... and I'm afraid that a collar with choke her, I've heard it happens with small dogs (my other one back home is an Irish setter/Weimaraner mix - big one)...
The harness is great, the first time I put it on her she tried to chew it a little, but then she got used to it. I thought I better get her used to it around the apartment before taking her outside (btw, is it normal that its not recommended not to take to puppy out until she finishes all of her shots? Rabies is done with already...).
Thanks

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Its a good idea not to take a puppy amongst other dogs until it is fully protected with its shots. When you first take your pup out on the harness, dont pull it sharply, but talk encouragingly to it, praising every time she walks. Treats are a good idea. Once she is protected with her shots, a puppy training class would be the best bet. You learn to do everything the correct way and your pup also gets to know other dogs. You live in an apartment, does that mean you have no garden (back yard)?. If so I would only go for very short walks with her until she is protected by her shots.
Chloe is a beautiful pup.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys... I thought she was adorable also, that is why I chose her....
She turned out so smart. As for the shots, I knew it wasn't recommended to be in contact with other dogs, but back home (Israel), they only "forbid" it until the rabies shot, and here the vet told me not to take her out until she is done with everything. So I didn't. As for training, I already have the info and the methods are well in my blood (took a course with my other dog). She already sits, lies down, shakes with both hands, and almost barks on command. She catches everything quite quick....
And she is not as innocent as she looks... ha ha :p .
Here is the first picture I have of her, 2 months old in it:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
She is so adorable. When we first got Caesar he wasn't too fond of his collar either. Then a friend told us that the material that the collar was made of was too rough on his little neck. We switched to a softer collar and he was better, he didn't try to chew it off or "paw" at it.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The harness is very soft, I think she didn't like it the first time because it was just foreign to her...
Another thing, how would you recommend cleaning the ears, I'm using baby wipes, she smells great after, and enjoys the feeling of it in the ear. I thought of trying a wash solution the vet offered... just don't know if it's worth the money. :animal18:

·
Registered
794 Posts
very cute!!!
and she does sound so smart!! my Beags can walk well, but can't do half of those tricks. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

I'd say she's doing just fine, and soon she'll be dragging you along on the leash! :hi:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't have any advice about walking Chloe since we haven't had a really little puppy for years, either, and since we have fenced acreage the dogs walk themselves. Just want to say that Chloe is adorable. :heart:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Beautiful, Beautiful, Beagle......Love her eyes.....My Bailey had blue eyes when she was little.....and she has a liver colored nose..... More More Pictures....

·
Registered
308 Posts
WOW I wish my Twins did all those tricks! The first time we took them to Petsmart (to buy newer collars and harnesses) we just had collars from my old dogs, which happened to be chihuahuas. I just knew the humane society was going to arrest us cause we were dragging both girls across the parking lot :hi: ......

And even though we have a fenced in yard, we got lucky in that the Twins love to go on walks....so many new smells that aren't in the back yard :raspberry: .

Oh and I have a Chloe too! She is snoring right beside me now!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sorry, tried uploading more pics, but they appeared too big.... couldn't resize them from some reason...
I'll put some in the large photo section
:lol2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts