Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! He seems to be recovering quite well from his kennel cough!

hes just turning into 12 weeks or so old now and he's become incredible "bitey" as we put it.. When ever we play with him or anything he goes streight at you and tries to bite you.. not like.. SNAP bite.. but playful or so... somtimes he gets out of hand!

We don't know how we should discipline him. We both don't really believe in hitting him.. I've tried tapping him on the nose but now i find my self grabbing his entire jaw/nose in my hand untill he whines or stops moving! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Help!

Oh, we also find that its impossable to leave him in his kennel! he HOWLS his brains out! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif even with treats in there, food in there, exciting toys! he just howls and in an apartment its not really good for us to leave that happening!

Our little man is turning into the little devil :p what do i do! any tips?

·
Registered
614 Posts
maybe put him in his crate when you are home, you know after he has played alot and almost tired.

that way he will start thinking it is a good thing to be in the crate.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Oh gotta love those puppy days!!

As for the biting/nipping whenever he does this to your hand or any other body part for that matter make either a high pitched noise or say ouch very loud. This is what his Mom would do to let him know she doesn't like that. You can also have a toy to distract him with and put that in his mouth in place and praise him when he chews that.

As for the crate problem one option would be leave the crate out in the middle of the room when he can see you and leave the door open so he can wander in and out when you are around. You can also start "bribing" him with a treat. Throw the treat in the crate and let him go into the crate, but don't shut the door, praise him when he goes in there so he can associate a positive experience each time he goes into his crate.

Also, have you tried to make the crate more den like? Bella, my littlest beagle likes to have a blanket around the whole crate so she feels secure. You could try that too if you are out of options! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Good luck...I hope your holy terror calms down soon, but remember he is a puppy and they are FULL of energy!!! :hyper:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts