Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well there are posts on here about the animals having separation anxiety, but what about us people? I normally work out of my home so today is an unusual day, but I have to be away from the beagles for about 8 hours today and it is killing me. I am so worried about them. The two youngest are having to stay in their crates because they cannot be trusted out roaming, but the 2 older ones have the run of the house. None of them are used to being alone though so I sure hope all goes well. Everyone keep your fingers crossed. I sure wish I would have trained the dogs to answer a phone. lol

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I definitely empathize, Donna! My situation is different from yours in that, throughout my 12 years with Maggie, I have always worked out of the home. Maggie has always done well being home on her own -- she is a very laid back beagle (I know, a contradiction but true). However, since she has been sick, I miss her and worry about her terribly during the day and so wish I worked at a company that would allow me to bring her to work. As an alternative, I wish I could afford to put up video cams in the house!

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
I miss Maggie terribly when I'm at work, and usually call home at least a couple of times a day to talk to one of the kids and ask how she's doing. I did the same thing when my kids were little and my Mother would babysit them while I was at work. What can I say, my kids are my life.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I don't have to leave home to work, but when we go off for a few days, I worry about the pack. My petsitter knows that I'm going to call every night to see how things are.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I too have my bouts of separation anxiety. When Jersey first started day care, I'd call them at least once a day to check on her. Like Judy, I'd love a job where I could bring Jersey to work with me. Or to be able to work from home. I miss my girl when I'm not with her.

I'm sure your pack will be just fine. And I'll bet they're going to be so happy to see you when you get home.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Our two are only alone whilst we are shopping or eating out. I can never relax, even though I know they are fine.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
I have had many times that I suffered with SA. Anytime I get a new dog, if they are sick, or just because they are cute! I keep my desk at work surrounded by pics of my pups.

Another fun thing to do is to set up a video camera on a tripod and aim it at the area they are in while you are gone. Hit play as you leave and then you can watch what they do while you are gone.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay they all did just fine and I survived too. lol I think our newest one (Sulli) is a little upset about being kenneled for so long because now tonight since we put her in bed she has been barking every minute or so to let us know she doesn't want to be there. I know it must be hard but their kennels are the only place I can trust the two youngest ones. Otherwise we come home to things being chewed up or missing from the house. Thankfully this is a very rare thing that at least one of us can't be home with the animals. Thanks for letting me know that I am not alone though in my human SA. lol

·
Registered
614 Posts
Dixie don't like being out of the crate while i am at work or when I was going to school. She would bark and yep the whole time, but when I put her in the crate she is quite as she can be. If it wasn't for the barking all the time i would let her have the run of the house. But then that would mean I will have to put a bark collar on her, but instead I just keep her in the crate for the 9 hrs I am gone and when I get home she is happy as she can be!

So with her in the crate, I know she is fine and I don't worry too much about her.

·
Premium Member
2,104 Posts
When Murphy was a puppy, her crate was in the same room as the answering machine. Yep, I'd call and 'talk' to her on the answering machine. I'd try to get home before Smitty so I could erase the messages.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally Posted By: KSycamoreWhen Murphy was a puppy, her crate was in the same room as the answering machine. Yep, I'd call and 'talk' to her on the answering machine. I'd try to get home before Smitty so I could erase the messages.
That's hilarious!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I feel the same way. When Dave and I go on vacation, I call every day (sometimes more than once) to check on them. Dave cracks up because my calls are always about the animals at first. Then eventually, I get around to asking the kids how they are. LOL

·
Registered
890 Posts
I agree. I worry about him when he is alone for the day. When we leave on a vacation (rarely) I worry about them more even though they are with a sitter. (They can never take care of him as well as we can). Right now, I haven't seen Tucker for 29 days. At least he is home with his Mom. I get to hear him when I call home everyday. The other day I talked to him on the phone and he actually listened. Usually he just looks at the phone funny. I have Tucker as the background of my computer so I can see him everyday at least.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally Posted By: Tucker's DadI agree. I worry about him when he is alone for the day. When we leave on a vacation (rarely) I worry about them more even though they are with a sitter. (They can never take care of him as well as we can). Right now, I haven't seen Tucker for 29 days. At least he is home with his Mom. I get to hear him when I call home everyday. The other day I talked to him on the phone and he actually listened. Usually he just looks at the phone funny. I have Tucker as the background of my computer so I can see him everyday at least.
How's your stay in Utah so far?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Funny that before I had doggies I would leave for work at 6am and get home anytime between 6:30pm and 7:30pm. Now that I have doggies I leave for work at 7:30am and get home at 5pm! No more over time for me! My puppies wait in the window for me every night I come home and bark, bay and howl as soon as my car pulls into the driveway! I grin from ear to ear as soon as I see them!

·
Registered
890 Posts
It has been Ok in Utah. I am staying with my parents in Springville so the commute to work in West Valley City takes a little over an hour. With all the snow we have been having, it has taken me over 2 hours a couple of time. Once I can get the wife and Tucker over here, we will settle in the South Jordan Herriman area. That will cut my commute down alot yet there is still a little bit of open space there than other places in the valley.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts