Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a female seven month old beagle, and she is raising some concerns. Since she was a younger pup she has had a scratching issue. She is constantly scratching her head and body. I’ve taken her to two vets who give me two very different diagnoses. One tells me it’s nothing to worry about and the other says it’s bad allergies. I put her on a special hypoallergenic food by direction of the second vet, but have seen no change(she’s been on the food for three months). I was just hoping to see is maybe this is something common in beagles, and if so what other people did to ease the irritation.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Is your girl on a flea preventative? Some really allergic dogs can react to the slightest bit of fleas. I know it's winter, but that's worth a try too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is your girl on a flea preventative? Some really allergic dogs can react to the slightest bit of fleas. I know it's winter, but that's worth a try too.
Yes she is on flea prevention as well as mite prevention, but that definitely is something I could look more into. Thank you.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Welcome
Beagles tend to be allergic to grasses..my dog has that allergy which is difficult to avoid. However, there are medications that help..either orally or by injection. My dog gets Cytopoint injection every 4-6 months.. it works immediately and she stops the scratching. Ask the vet about an Rx.
Make sure to wash your dogs blankets and towels with non-perfumed laundry soap.
Your dog is very cute!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome
Beagles tend to be allergic to grasses..my dog has that allergy which is difficult to avoid. However, there are medications that help..either orally or by injection. My dog gets Cytopoint injection every 4-6 months.. it works immediately and she stops the scratching. Ask the vet about an Rx.
Make sure to wash your dogs blankets and towels with non-perfumed laundry soap.
Your dog is very cute!
Thank you for this advice, I wash all her bedding weekly. Where I live we currently have snow, in fact I only get four good month where there isn’t snow. Seeing for the lack of grass I don’t think her allergies would be caused by grass, however you could definitely be on the right track about it being the environment. My vet has talked to be about injections, but advised me to not do them. She feels it’s too much for a younge pup and could cause her more harm. But I will definitely open up the idea again with her vet at her next appointment. Thank you :)

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I hope you can figure it out.

My mom had a cat allergic to hypoallergenic food, so that's a possibility too (though I sincerely hope not).

Reactions: Brooke_21

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Your dog might be a little young for the that medication but when a couple of months older may be the time to give it. Its really a miracle how it stops the non stop scratching.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your dog might be a little young for the that medication but when a couple of months older may be the time to give it. Its really a miracle how it stops the non stop scratching.
Thank you so much for your impute! I will start doing more research on it and maybe give it a try. Your experience definitely gives me hope and reassurance that it might be worth a try. ☺

·
Super Moderator
5,183 Posts
Beagles tend to be itchy dogs, I think that all the "nose to the ground" adds extra allergens in their systems. Oliver had terrible itching to the point he was opening up wounds on his belly and tail. The vet put him on Apoquel and it's like a miracle. No more itching or dry dandruff skin.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Beagles tend to be itchy dogs, I think that all the "nose to the ground" adds extra allergens in their systems. Oliver had terrible itching to the point he was opening up wounds on his belly and tail. The vet put him on Apoquel and it's like a miracle. No more itching or dry dandruff skin.
Wow, that sounds like my Bee, I'm glad you found a solution! I definitely am going to explore medication options with my vet at her next appointment. Thank you!

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
I chose the Cytopoint injection option since it lasts a pretty long time and I dont have to give a daily oral medication. My dog hasnt experienced any side effects. But you should have a discussion with the vet and decide what meds are best to give. Let us know what you decide..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts