Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my girlfriend got me a male beagle for Christmas, we named him Copper. Hes 13 weeks old and rowdy as can be. This is the first beagle ive ever had, and the first dog ive ever tried to house train, which is very tough.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Since I haven't had a puppy for quite some time, I can't be of much help with suggestions. There are several people at BW, however, who have puppies so you'll get some good advice.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Congratulations and Merry Christmas!

Take a deep breath and read all you can about crate training! It's probably the best way to house break a puppy.
Also, you'll find tons of advice here in the different forums!

Welcome to the BW family

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Oh that is wonderful. Welcome to the world of Beagles. Some will tell you that a Beagle is more difficult to train than other dogs, but thus far I have not had that be the case in our household. We've had about 7 Beagles over the years (currently 2 purebreds/1 mix). Consistency and early training is required though. Stick around...you will learn a lot from here and have a sympathetic ear when you need one. lol

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Welcome! Remember to put anything you don't want chewed to pieces up at waist height or higher from now on (including the trash can, cell phone, ipod, cigarettes, coasters, mail...), use lots of positive reinforcement with treats and making a big fuss for any and all training, crates are a godsend, and remember that a dog isn't plug and play - the more love and affection and care you put into taking care of it as a puppy, the more well-adjusted, happy, and tolerable a companion it's going to be as it grows up. I survived raising two beagle puppies over the last year and a half, and there are a lot of new puppy/young beagle owners here, so you're in excellent company.

Also, we love pictures.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
to BW! Looking forward to hearing all about your adventures with Copper (and there will be many) and, as others have said, we love pictures.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Welcome to you and Copper! Am a newbie to the beagle world myself. Got Homer at the start of november so am still in the learning process!

Dont know exactly how much help I can be....just start as you mean to continue. Thats the best advice I could give! And just be patient, lots of encouragment will go a long way.

Check out the forums here on training advice as I found them really useful. There's lots of experienced beagle owners here so dont be afraid to ask!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Id put up a pic of Copper, but it said the file was too big to upload on the picture forum. And I xant figure out how to put a pic on my profile.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: [email protected] put up a pic of Copper, but it said the file was too big to upload on the picture forum. And I xant figure out how to put a pic on my profile.
Make sure it's within size limits, and make sure it weighs no more than 150K. For online posting, pictures look excellent in 72 pixel resolution.
There is a post on photo posting help and using the file manager in all of the forums and in the help section.

If you need more help, let me know.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World. Copper is a beautiful pup. You have had some great advice about puppy proofing. We used crate training with Maggie and I am so glad we did. Housetraining will not happen overnight but be consistent with whatever you decide to do and it will come. I often tell people that Maggie was not trained at 4 months but at 5 months she was fully housetrained. When it happened it seems like it was overnight.
I am a big believer in puppy socialization classes and then obedience when he is old enough. Beagle puppies are a lot of work but also a lot of fun. You will need energy and patience but just remember it is worth the work to have a great companion.

·
Registered
605 Posts
ETSU as in East Tennessee State University? I go to UTK!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
~Welcome to Beagle World~

When I was trying to house break my doggie(which was very difficult) I use to buy wee pads and place them all over and then where he would go have an accident I would spary that paws off stuff on it. It's this smelly stuff for them to smell (we can't smell it much) and he wouldn't go there anymore, you can find it Petc or PetsMart. You want to elimiate the area where he has accidents and then hopefully he will learn to only go on the pads or outside
good luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts