Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we have had Maddie for nearly a month now, and about a week ago she started having diarrhea. We took her to the vet the next day and soon found that she had eaten a staple!! Where she got it, I have no idea, but they had to operate to get it out-there was concern that it might puncture her intestine. So now my poor puppy has headgear to prevent her from licking her stitches and her little ribs are sticking out because she is on a special diet (2 tablespoons of food every few hours)
Although the vet assured me that this happens all the time with puppies, I feel absolutely terrible, like we are awful pet parents. Has this ever happened to anyone else? We've vacuumed the house top to bottom and blocked off certain rooms with baby gates, but I'm so scared it's going to happen again. Any ideas?

Maddie's Mommy

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Poor Maddie.... it's not your fault, you shouldn't blame yourself, I know it is easy to say. She will be great soon, and it will all be behind you two.

Lots of gentle beagle kisses heading Maddie's way!

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Oh, I'm so sorry you all had to go through that! Abby and I hope she has a speedy recovery /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/yay.gif
The best way to puppy/baby proof is to get down on your hands and knees, crawl around, and look for things that could entice, or pose a hazard to a puppy (or in my case baby)...seriously.
Being down on their level puts a whole new perspective on things.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
I hope she starts to feel better soon, how long is she on that diet for? Can you maybe increase it so she gets the food a little more often? As for how to make sure it never happens again, all you can do is completely puppy proof your house, same way you would if you have a baby. If you have clutter, pack it away, anything that can fit into her mouth will likely go in there. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Good luck and keep us posted on her recovery.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Just chalk it up to Murphy's Law! Similarly, a few weeks after I got Toby, my friend was sitting with him because I had to go out of town. Playing in the backyard he got bitten by something and his snout swelled up to the size of his head. My friend had to take him to the emergency vet. $500 later...we never knew what bit him or what he got into, but he has had a scar on his snout ever since. I assume the scar is to remind me that I wasn't there!

Now that I am a mother, I find it's the same with a baby! Take it in stride, do what you can and know that you just can't control EVERYTING!

Belly rubs to Maddie and get well soon!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Awww, poor Maddie!

I can't add to what everyone else has said, other than as a beagle mom and a little kid mom, these things just happen!

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Poor Maddie! I will echo what everyone else has said, don't beat yourself up too hard. I agree with Jamie, get down on your hands and knees so you're on "their level." It's amazing how much more you find from that level.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I hope Maddie's feeling better today. As others have said, don't beat yourself up. Sometimes, things just happen no matter how careful we are.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your advice and kind words! After crawling on our hands and knees for half an hour picking up anything that might entice Maddie, I've come to the conclusion that my house is now cleaner than it has been since we moved in!
The first two days after surgery were a little scary, as she was on pain meds and really out of it. Now though, she's just about back to her old self (minus the headgear she has to wear). She's able to eat more so she is filling out again, and I don't feel like I'm starving her! We miss our long walks in the park, but next Friday she gets her stitches out!
It's been quite an ordeal, and an interesting (and expensive) induction into dog ownership. We've learned our lesson! The important thing is that she is on the mend. No more staples Maddie!!

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
If you think puppies are hard wait until you have a baby around /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wave.gif
Glad to hear things are going well with her recovery!
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/yay.gif

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Mine only had to wear the cone on their head if we weren't there to watch them, they only had it on when we were gone to work, any other time, I would take it off, I felt bad for them.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Our late Beag Franny chewed a safety razor blade into 5 pieces and swallowed it. By the time she got to surgery they had already started down her i-track so they decided to wait and see. She passed everything fine. I have a feeling all the x-rays they took during this time caused her cancer a few years later /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Anyway, once you become a veteran beagle owner you'll realize it has nothing to do with what kind of mother you are /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maddie got her stitches out this morning!! She is right now running around the house chasing my boyfriend. I'm so happy we all made it through this, and I have learned my lesson about curious beagles!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hapfac01.gif

Watch out for those staples now!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif

Extra /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/yay.gif to Maddie

1 - 20 of 20 Posts